We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo Rental?

NYC
Level Contributor
108 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Condo Rental?

I am wondering if someone here can make a recomendation as far as where to find a good condo rental. Since the majority of resorts are not all inclusive this seems to be a better way to go. Comments and suggestions??

New Jersey
Level Contributor
617 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo Rental?

I use VRBO.com, very reliable and very easy to use.

Huntsville, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo Rental?

I may have the opportunity to move to St. Thomas, USVI for 3 months for work. Are there good longer-term rentals that would be furnished and reasonably priced?

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo Rental?

As we own a condo that is available for rent, I can't suggest it.

The best procedure is to use VRBO and look for rentals that fit your needs and have a bunch of favorable reviews either on the VRBO page, or TripAdvisor or both. Don't pay attention to a very few poor reviews if there are lots of good ones--they are an anomaly DEFINITELY rent DIRECTLY from the owner. The "third parties" have a history of frequently jerking people around, and it's not worth the chance. It will be a bit of work, but it will be worth it.

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
826 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo Rental?

www.vrbo.com or www.homeaway.com are two websites (owned by the same company) that have a lot of listings for condos on St. Thomas. Some rental agents list condos that they "rep" on the sites so make sure you are speaking with the owner of the condo to avoid any "third-party problems as SteveAtSapphire mentioned. I've used VRBO to rent in england, Italy, Paris and numerous cities around the US and for me there are a couple of basic rules:

1. VRBO allows owners to post up to 16 pictures, the more pictures the more the listing costs. So if there aren't 16 pictures on a listing I wonder why not----is it because the owner can't get 16 nice pictures of his/her place or is he/she cheap and will they be cheap with their guests?

2. There has to be more pictures of the condo than the surrounding resort, beach etc. Five pictures of the condo and 11 pictures of the beach etc. tells you there isn't much to show at the condo.

3. There must be at least 1 picture of every room in the condo, including the bathroom. If there aren't, what are they hiding?

4. Read the listings and judge whether the owner is over- using a lot of adjectives or are they just telling you the facts? Some adjectives are appropriate, too many are "sales puffery".

5. Look for listings where the owner has a separate private website for their place linked to the VRBO listing. If they take the time to do a separate website they must have "pride of ownership" in the condo.

6. Read the reviews! If there aren't any reviews of the place what does that tell you? All reviews are posted good or bad so an owner can't select only the good ones.

7. Don't be cheap. Rentals that are priced below other condos or villas in the same complex or area are usually priced cheap for a reason. Either they haven't been updated or they are not near the beach, town center etc. Remember you're saving so much money on renting a condo rather than a hotel, so spend a little more to get a nice place.

8. Communicate with the owner. By all means list your phone number in your inquiry. Owners that call you personally usually have a "guest satisfaction" mentality. They enjoy talking about their place and the location and want to make it a personal experience for their guests. If you don't get a call from an owner, only an email reply, it doesn't mean the place is a dump (the owner may be traveling or busy) but it is always comforting to make a personal connection with the owner before sending them a lot of your hard earned money.

9. If something smells "fishy" or doesn't seem right, find another place. There are too many choices to get stuck with a "dog" place.

10. Read the contract. if the owner doesn't supply a rental contract don't send him/her your money. Make sure you understand your rights to cancel. Obviously canceling a condo rental is not as easy as cancelling a hotel reservation (before 4 pm on day of arrival). Owners can't be left holding an unused rental week, so most make the fee non-refundable 30 or 60 days prior to arrival.

Following these "rules" I have never had a bad VRBO rental experience. Good luck.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo Rental?

BrockD: You can check out craigslist usvi where several short-term rentals are advertised; the Virgin Islands Daily News can be accessed online and they also come out every Thursday with The Island Trader which is a free advertising paper and lists a large number of apartments to rent. You might also check out VIMovingCenter onlne which is a site dedicated to people relocating here. Not only will you learn a lot about island living which will make your stay much more enjoyable but they also have a classified section where apartments are listed.

Good luck!

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,218 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo Rental?

I sent you contact info for an owner that we rented from on the East End, we really liked the unit we rented, location and condition were perfect.

Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo Rental?

I can suggest a location just off of St Thomas. A vacation on Water Island in the U.S. Virgin Islands is an affordable, uncrowded and SAFE destination. You can Google for more specific information about Water Island, or check the WI Civic Associations web site here: http://www.waterislandwica.com/

Rocky Dock

Water Island

8. Re: Condo Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2013, 10:19