We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport was a zoo!

Which St. Thomas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Airport was a zoo!

The airport was an absolute zoo yesterday.

We were returning home and called the airport to be sure our plane was on schedule as we were traveling on American. We were told to be at the airport three hours before the flight. Afraid that American ticket agents would be tied up scrambling to get connecting flights for passengers we arrived as advised.

We were lucky to make the plane. The delay wasn't with American it was customs. The line was past the ticket counters and out the door.

Everything seemed normal when we finally got to the gate, so I have no idea why customs had everything so backed up. There was a lot of unhappy people that missed their flights do to the delay.

Best to call the local agent the day of your flight to get advice on when to be there.

Charlotte Amalie...
Level Contributor
676 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport was a zoo!

Two to two and a half hours is usually okay. Saturday is a horror show mostly. The lines have been backed up to the taxi dispatch sometimes, other days all the way down to the other commuter gate, waiting for TSA and customs!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport was a zoo!

Ron

We came back Friday,our plane was half full, and the number of travelers was normal.

We did notice a number of people being taken to a back office at customs, so there may have been some kind of alert, but it was hard to figure why people should have to wait so long to go through customs.

michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport was a zoo!

We left Sunday and it was our first time flying out of St. Thomas wow your right what a zoo. I can understand the back up going thru TSA but the ticket counter was way out of control must be all new employees.

Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
527 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport was a zoo!

No, they're just working on island time. Just remember to allow enough time and don't let it bother you--you're on vacation.

Battle Creek...
Level Contributor
108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport was a zoo!

I agree with you Bill... We came home this past Saturday and you're right, it was a zoo. That was the most crazy traveling that I have ever done.

We didn't know to check bags first so we got in the customs line that, yes, was to the other end of the airport and out the door and waited in line to find out that we had to check bags first. Then Clair tried to do the E-ticket and it required 7 digits, we only had three, so we proceeded to check baggage through American and then get at the end of the customs line, which was even longer than before. I thought we would never make our flight; we were only their 2 hours before our flight, but we made through with plenty of time to spare. The customs line moved pretty quickly.

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
130 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport was a zoo!

Wow!

now I'm concerned! I'm going to STT in October. I'll be flying home on a Tuesday. will that be better??? What is the proper protocol for that airport???

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
711 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport was a zoo!

So it appears that weekends (probably Saturdays mostly) are like a zoo at STT, probably given that's when most airlines have round trip flights to/from STT. So, does it matter what time of day on the weekend - or is it just plane crazy all day?

I will be flying briefly from STT to SJU around 10:00am on a Saturday. Still need to get there 3 hours early?

Gela

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport was a zoo!

I spoke with a friend that left on the same day (Friday), but on an earlier flight. They had no problem and no wait. Why a few hours later there was such bedlam, I have no idea.

I think the best thing is to have your resort contact the local airline office and see what the situation is.

Level Contributor
100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport was a zoo!

The airport was pretty much a zoo today also - We have been through that airport many times and I was totally amazed at how crowded it was! The lines moved pretty quickly but there were more people than chairs for a while - crazy!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
415 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport was a zoo!

We left the same day as Beautiful Bill. The Roadtown fast ferry was late arriving and customs took forever at the ferry dock so we went straight to the airport. We arrived there there at noon and by 12:30pm were through security. Our flight was at 3pm. Now the line in the restaurant was another thing!!

A trick I learned years ago by reading these boards is to get a skycap as soon as you arrive at the airport. He takes your bags to your airline to check in, waits in customs while you go through and then he takes your bags to the final check-in point and you just get in the security line. Last week the line we were directed to was against the wall and only people with no bags would go to it because of the layout. That line had 4 people in it. The regular line was looong. Costs us a nice tip but it cuts the exasperation quotient way down - especially when it is really busy. I get very "tense" on travel days so anything my husband can do to ease my discomfort he's all for!

Amy McGowen - don't worry about Tuesdays and especially not in October. You'll have no problem.