We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef at Sapphire

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
16 helpful votes
Reef at Sapphire

Hey guys. Been a few years since I was down. And not since the hurricane. Can anyone comment on the coral (marina side) and snorkeling?

6 replies to this topic
Geneseo, Illinois
Level Contributor
543 posts
24 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Reef at Sapphire

I've never snorkeled on the marina side, very shallow.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
28 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Reef at Sapphire

I’ve snorkeled there over the years but have not done so recently. The problem is the water entry is painful with rocks and coral.

That beach ( in front of D and E buildings, Red Beach) is not a swimming beach and the storms have most likely made it worse

I can tell you how to snorkel there but I recommend it for only an advanced snorkeler. Enter the water on Sapphire Beach in front of the A building and swim out around the point to Red Beach. I don’t recommend it because there can be a strong current, it puts you in a boating lane, and jet skis can run amuck OK if you really know what your doing but I’m an advanced scuba diver and long time snorkeler and do not recommend it.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Reef at Sapphire

Anyone else? Bummed no one is commenting

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
23 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Reef at Sapphire

Jen, the point being made is that the area you're asking about isn't where people generally snorkel which is why there are few responses. According to latest reports the snorkeling in the usual area is just fine. Just walk down the beach a little way and you'll have no problems at all and see plenty of marine life.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
890 posts
10 reviews
24 helpful votes
5. Re: Reef at Sapphire

Haven't seen it since the Hurricanes. But as Marsha and Bill said, it's very shallow.

If you get farther out, though, where the boulders are you can often see some large fish. To get there, it's best to aim diagonally toward the tip of the Point from a deeper water entry on the left of the beach.

You'll feel a lot of wave action out there. So be careful.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,309 posts
28 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Reef at Sapphire

Jen

Nothing has really changed. Very few people tried snorkeling there over the years. There are many better places to snorkel at Sapphire if you know where they are. I’m not sure why this is concerning you.

Reply to: Reef at Sapphire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted