We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rent a car or pay for taxi's

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
rent a car or pay for taxi's

4 senior ladies are travelling for the 1st time to st croix. staying at Hibiscus resort for 5 days. not keen on driving on the left side, but will, if we have to. Not planning alot of tourist things, perhaps taking an afternoon tour, but otherwise looking for transportation from airport to hotel and back, and perhaps a day in town or to the gocery store. What should we do?

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Renting a car would definitely be more economical. Driving on the left is only a challenge for the first half hour, then it becomes second nature. If you don't rent a car consider a Sweeney's tour one day which will be very enjoyable. Check out gotostcroix.com for a reference on Sweeney's tours.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Like St said after the first half hour you will be a pro!! And if you goof the locals toot and wave and I definately recommend the rental Once you get there you are going to want to see it all if for nothong more

than trying different reastaurants

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Sweeney's for a tour, or Tan tan?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,877 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

I have been trying to get my mom and her sisters (7 old ladies - tee hee) to go to St. Croix for their annual get-together because they may not need to drive all over. I saw the Island Safari (Sweeney's tour) several times on our trip and it looked like a fun option to driving yourselves.

I would recommend at least 1 taxi trip to Christensted for a nice dinner out and some shopping, too.

http://www.gotostcroix.com/sweenytour/

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

I would recommend renting a car for at least part of your stay. If you decide to do a tour Sweeneys is a good one.

The Tan Tan tour is a lot of off roads and very bumpy so if anyone has back problems they may want to reconsider. We loved the Tan Tan tour ( we have done it twice!)

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
13 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Since the beaches on St. Croix are so varied, I think you will want to visit some different ones. Also, the restaurants are wonderful, and you'll want to try a variety. To really enjoy the island, you will want a car for at least some (or all) of your stay.

Don't fret driving on the left. With very few exceptions, the roads are not "highway" like in the States, and--as a result--traffic is not as brisk as you are probably used to. The passenger in the front has a job...that is to remind the driver to "Stay Left" when pulling out from stop signs, parking lots, etc. (And I'm not kidding. That's the rule for my husband and myself!)

Tan Tan tours are a load of fun, but I agree with the post that said they should be avoided if anyone has a bad back or neck. Sweeney tours are also delightful and will give a nice tour of the island.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
76 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Thank you so much for all of your input. We will certainly think again about renting a car. Also thank you on the sweeney tours info, wel shall look into that too.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
897 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

You will be kicking yourself if you don't rent a car. The sand at Hibiscus is nice but it turns to rocks at the water's edge. There's not much within walking distance. The restaurant at Hibiscus is ok but nothing to write home about. After 36 hours you will be more than ready to drive on the left.

Don't forget that cabs charge per person plus distance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
309 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

YOU WANT your own car chaletswiss! There are NO open container laws on the USVI, STX is the home of Cruzan Rum (drinking and driving are LEGAL here bro), and for the cost of a couple of taxis you could have a good car from Centerline or the other rentals for a full day! Do bring plenty of folding green and enjoy this tropic paradise...

…snapfish.com/snapfish/…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rent a car or pay for taxi's

Driving under the influence is illiegal here, Read the St.Croix news and you will see that the cops arrest folks daily for DUI. Where do you get this sort of information.

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted