We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked Baggage

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Checked Baggage

I read on this forum that checked bags don't always make it to St. Croix along with you. I am wondering since so many people carry on luggage nowadays, has anyone noticed that your checked bags tend to arrive along beside you. I was hoping that less checked bags would mean more accuracy?

Edited: 07 July 2011, 19:02
New Britain...
Level Contributor
928 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked Baggage

I guess it depends on the airline. I've gone to STX once or twice a year since 2004 on American/American Eagle. I've never had any check bags delayed or lost going either way.

In Nov. I'm flying Cape Air from San Juan for the first time. I'm hoping for the best.

Some times it's a matter of room/weight on the plane.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,639 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked Baggage

American Airlines was pulling a LOT of luggage from people just as we were boarding the plane - even though we passed through a bag check and security to get that far! They made me check a bag that I recently took to Boston - via AA - with no problem. If your bag is the slightest bit puffy, they will stow it on your airplane rather than let you carry it on. Nice thing is, they don't charge the $25.00 checked bag fee. We, luckily, had all of our baggage arrive with us.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked Baggage

Thanks for this information. The first time we went to STX we traveled really light. Our next trip I am staying longer so it is going to require more luggage. Perhaps and emergency carry on that will get you thru a day or so would be a good idea too.

Thanks so much.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
341 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked Baggage

No issues last month with Delta. They didn't seem to be having any problems with anyone's luggage, checked or carry on. The MD88 was a bit tighter as the overheads were smaller than the Boeng 757's, but it wasn't an issue as we avoid over packing our carryons. Coming home of course was a bit worse, as two liters of our beloved Cruzan Rum were broken during handling. I like your idea to carry a day's worth of clothes in the carry on, just in case. That would be a lifesaver if I was separated from my checked stuff for more than a few hours!!!

Edited: 07 July 2011, 22:25
Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked Baggage

The only issue we had was when we connected through SJU. Since that instance we have always opted to connect through MIA and have had no further issues with checked bags (knock wood). We always pack essentials, bathing suit, change of clothes in carry-ons, though, just in case...This past return from STX we saw a man trying to get on with four pieces of carry-on luggage in various sizes. We were looking for Granny or Jethro to board right behind him:) It is not up to TSA to monitor number / size of carry-ons - it is up to the gate personnel if the ticket counter does not catch it - and that is sometimes difficult if someone is traveling with a group or children. Although, one time at ORD I was carrying my laptop into the TSA screening area so I wouldn't have to drag it out of my roll-aboard last minute and a TSA agent started yelling at me that I had too many carry-ons. She didn't seem to understand that it was going to go back into my bag after screening. I put that down to too much or not enough caffeine at 5 AM.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked Baggage

There have been times when luggage shows up on a later flight when you connect in San Juan. However, it was delivered later in the day to the hotel. But, they do not have as many daily flights these days so I am not sure what is happening.

As mentioned, it is a good idea to carry on essentials with you, like your bathing suit and a change of clothes in case your luggage is delayed. American through San Juan also does a lot of gate checking because the ATR's cannot take the larger carry-ons, but they take it from you as you are boarding and you get it when you get off the aircraft.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked Baggage

In about 30 trips to St Croix only 1 time when we took American Eagle from San Juan to St Croix did we have a problem. The plane was heavy and our luggage ( along with others) came on the next plane and was delivered to our hotel.

We always bring a change of clothes and a bathing suit in our carry on just in case.

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked Baggage

Just returned from STX routed thru Miami and they lost our bag on the southbound flight....that is with a three hour layover in MIA which should have been enough time to transfer bags....was delivered to condo the following day...all the airlines are pretty good about getting missing bags to you. Many times it is not a "lost" bag it has simply not been put on your plane due to weight restrictions.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked Baggage

I love the Granny and Jethro reference!:) Thanks for the updated information. I don't mind the bags getting lost coming back. Who wants dirty laundry anyway, but on the way there you need your clean laundry!!!

Thanks to all for the advice!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked Baggage

When we returned on our first trip from STX thru SJU, the TSA had dogs run all over our luggage, Does this occur on the way from the mainland into STX? There is something about having a dog walking all over my clean clothes that gives me the creeps. I can see why they do it coming back, due to drug smuggling in the area, but people don't usually smuggle from the mainland, do they?

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted