We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Croix at Christmas

Weymouth
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
St. Croix at Christmas

Hi, I am planning a trip with my husband and two kids. They are 23 and 21. We decided to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary with them. We are looking for an island that none of us has been and I think St. Croix fits the bill.

Any recommendations of where to stay with parents who are content to hang out but two kids who might want to find some fun places to go at night. I will read the past forum to check out what everyone has contributed. I am at the beginning stages. Just picking the island is a start.

Thanks in advance.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

Hi, villas on the east end are where we like to stay but, wtih your 23 and 21 year old wanting to get out at night, a villa in the Cane Bay are on the north shore, west of C'Sted, might be a good choice for you. You could chill and your kids could enjoy the beach and beach bars like Off the Wall at Cane Bay - a real toes in the sand type of place where they have live entertainment and games like WII bowling or movie night each night. Everything is outside. Something is going on there nightly. www.stcroixtourism.com/off_the_wall.htm

A 3 bedroom villa with pool right on the water with spectaular views of open ocean and within walkng distance of Cane Bay Beach is Paradise at Cane Bay:

vacationstcroix.com/ParadiseatCaneBay/Paradi…

Post or PM if you have questions - I have stayed in or toured a number of villas on STX (I am a self-confessed villa junkie - lol).

Happy planning!

- Margy

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

We are bringing our 23 and 27 year old with us this year and we are in the same boat.

We usually stay at Hoel on the Cay which is on an island in the Christiansted harbor. Its a 2 minute ferry ride into town. The nice part about this is the kids can take the ferry and walk to many places on the boardwalk without having to drive or take a cab.

The hotel is is very comfortable, has a nice beach and is close to town - we love it. The rooms have a kitchenette so you can bring food and drink in to enjoy.

If you are looking for a villa, Margy is the forum expert on that! Either way I would want to be close enough that the kids could walk...or cab.

Have a great time planning.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
840 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

Just a quick comment on MargyZ's suggestions. We were there in late May and the Cane Bay Beach bar was shut down. Supposedly the owner owes tons of $ to lots of people and closed up. That's the first time in all 13 of our trips that the place was closed. It has changed names a few times but it was always open. A year or two ago Off the Wall was closed but it was open in May. The Spratnet bar in Cane Bay was open as was Bogey's. That other restaurant close to Bogey's was also open after being closed on our prvious two trips. I can't remember the name right now, but it is a pretty neat place.... wait I just remembered, it's The Waves at Cane Bay. The point here is that you never know just what you'll find as far as who's still in business and who is not. I'm long past being 22 but I still like to go out for a few drinks. I'd say that you would have a lot more options in Christiansted than out at Cane Bay for night time fun. I've never seen anything that would qualify as great night life on STX. That's just fine with me anymore. Like Jimmy Buffet sings in his one song, "These days I'm up about the time I used to go bed. Livin' large was once the deal, now I watch the stars instead". If you're lucky enough to be on island when a jump up is going on, you'll have about as much excitement as you're likely to find. If the young guys just do a little checking after you arrive, you will find where the bands are playing. If there are no bands playing on a given night ,they will still be able to find some fun somewhere either in the Christiansted area or over in Fredericksted. By the way, one time about 10 years or so ago I was up at The Mt Pellier Domino club on a Sunday afternoon and I actually played drums with a small band that day. How bad do you think thise guys were if they let me try to be the drummer? I stink at the drums. I had a great time though. The band whose name I'll never remember was O.K. but that drummer was horrible. They only let me play because I bought them all a drink. That was my last musical performance, ever.............

Weymouth
Level Contributor
22 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

You guys are all great. I now have at least some information to start with. My kids are pretty happy with anything. Maybe that beach bar will reopen by December. Sounds just the ticket for my son... He is the barefoot kid. My daughter will follow the music too.. Drinks on the beach are also good for us old folk..

I can't thank you enough and when I narrow down some of this I will be back with more questions I am sure.

Again, thank you.

Valerie

Connecticut
Level Contributor
141 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

The Buccaneer is great,but the kids will need a car to get into town, or need to take a cab. If you stay at a villa, you will definitely need a car. There are a lot of great places to listen to music--Chicken Charlies, Cheeseburgers, and great places on the Boardwalk-- Brew Pub, Rum Runners, etc. Just read my post on the recent violence there--there has been a lot of robberies, but the latest was in a local restaurant where tourists go and someone was shot.Dont leave anything in your car if you go anywhere.

6. Re: St. Croix at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted
Recent Conversations