We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying liquor

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
buying liquor

What do we need to know about buying liquor on St Croix? For example, in some places liquor is not sold on Sundays, or before noon, etc.

Also, where is the best (i.e. cheaapest)place to buy it? (not just rum, but other liquor and beef?

Thanks.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: buying liquor

The cheapest places are K-Mart, Cost-U-Less and Plaza Extra. The only time liquor or beer cannot be sold is on Good Friday before Easter. However this ban is over at 4pm. So stock up on Thursday before Good Friday.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
897 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying liquor

The best place to buy licquer is at Plaza Extra west, on Centerline Rd. Best prices and best selection. And if you're staying at the Carambola, the closest of the major shops.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
410 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying liquor

If the airlines charge a fee for the extra bag, how much money can you really save to make it worth the trouble. I thought tthe prices at the duty free in San Juan looked good. Might be smart to take a look and jot down some prices to compare.

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: buying liquor

The airlines have agreed not to charge extra for liquor boxes checked as luggage in the USVI.

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: buying liquor

hey, Pilotboy, that sounds like good news. Where did you find that? Because we're traveling on American, I looked on their website but cannot find any reference to the liquor exception.

Also, we have to change planes in San Juan. Will that make a difference?

Frederiksted, St...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: buying liquor

Our delegate to congress, Dr. Donna Christian worked it out with AA and other airlines followed suit. I feel sure it's still in place, haven't heard anything to indicate different.

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
840 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: buying liquor

We were on STX late in July. We checked our rum purchases as luggage with no extra charge. Last time I looked ,we have one bottle left. I have one and a half bottles of mammawanna left. This stuff is way too popular here in N.East Pa. Maybe this qualifies as a reason for a quick trip back to STX. Hmmm?

By the way, a quick note to Futuredolphin. Remember that small bottle of mammawanna that I promised you for your birthday? Well I couldn't find because one of the kids stuck in one of the suitcases. I found it. It's gone. I'll make it up to you next year.

Evanston, IL
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: buying liquor

We last flew in August (also on American). The charges they impose on luggage started about then. At that time, if your ticket had been purchased prior to some magic date in June (I think it was on or around June 15 there was no charge for checked luggage -- after that date they did. He'd bought his ticket early enough - mine was just after that date. So we checked just one bag between us (his free one). Perhaps that's why you weren't charged in July?

Clarks Summit,Pa
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
840 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: buying liquor

I understand about the cut off date on tickets for the now existing luggage charge. The liquor boxes are "exempt" from extra charges. I saw an article in the V.I. Daily news a few months ago about the airlines agreeing to waive the charge for the booze. They did so in response to an uproar from local business people. If the charge were to stay in effect it would have devastated the companies that sell booze on the islands.

Cumming, Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying liquor

So is it better to buy at the duty free shop in airport going to/from STX or on island?

Get answers to your questions about Christiansted