We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach....Sos needed!

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
70 reviews
beach....Sos needed!

Ok expert travelers, I am bumping my head against the wall sorting through the comments about beaches. We are going to dock in Frederiksted on a cruise in December and really just want a spot to spend a few hours and then maybe if there are some local eats in town to hit before we get back on ship. We will be there on a Sunday so I think that might be a factor for restaurants although I hear places open if a ship is in port.

We are 2 adults and 3 yr old

But the beach dilemma has me nuts, first I thought

1-Sandy point but people say to hot no shade and limited things there

2- Sandcastle and Rainbow people are saying too rocky in and out of water

So where do we go?? too much time and money to go all the way to Buccaneer...

Please help because I am getting frustrated because I am getting mixed reviews and also very old posts in these items.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
168 reviews
1. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Go to Rainbow...don't remember it being rocky. You can rent chairs and ip umbrellas and have the convenience of rhythms for lunch. Plus a bathroom.

Sandy Point is gorgeous but not the right place for a young child thanks to no shade and no services.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Neither Rainbow or Sandcastle is too rocky. We just came back from STX and stayed in F'sted. They have a couple of specials at Sandcastle for cruise ship passengers: Also they have one of the best restaurants on the island and have a great Sunday brunch.

sandcastleonthebeach.com/cruise-ship-beach-p…

Rainbow will probably be more crowded but has a great beach bar vibe. Sandcastle has a different vibe, more relaxed, but either would be a good choice. For local eats, Rose's Dream Cuisine on King Street is really great. Everything should be open when a ship is in town. Another great lunch place is Turtles Deli on Strand Street.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
139 posts
3. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Definitely spend your time at Sandcastle - you won't be disappointed!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
4. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Another vote for Sand Castle. Also, Cane Bay is only about 20 minutes by taxi, and is drop dead beautiful, and has three good restaurants around it. Water conditions are USUALLY better at Sand Castle, however for your 3 year old.

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: beach....Sos needed!

if we had enough time and wanted to take a walk is it a hard walk to sandy point from sand castle...trying to tell via satellite. Looks like lots of options downtown for food stuff after beach. Hope its true places open on sunday when ships in town cause some of their signs in pics say closed on sunday. I was drooling for that creole place since we are New Orleans lovers

Boston
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: beach....Sos needed!

You can definitely walk part of the way but it is not recommended as it is pretty isolated. Also, it is rocky in some parts. It is also a pretty long walk. But you can definitely walk on the beach.

Christiansted, St...
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
125 reviews
7. Re: beach....Sos needed!

There is a beach right next to the pier and there is a beach bar/restaurant there also. No cabs, no walk.

Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Can you give location of Sandcastle? And Rainbow Beach? Thanks! Will be in Stx on 3/14/16, so I think we may be able to go Sandy Pointe. Any information on different beach locations would be great!

Edited: 29 February 2016, 09:02
Boston
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Rainbow beach is about a mile north of the cruise ship pier and Sandcastles is about a mile south. Sandy Point is south of Sandcastles.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
134 reviews
10. Re: beach....Sos needed!

Presumably you arriving by cruise ship on 3/14. Otherwise Sandy Point will be closed. Might still be closed if they don't open it for the cruise ship.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix