We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else with me on this?

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else with me on this?

I am re-posting this little story that was put up on another forum some time ago by a St. Croix resident who was tired of hearing the same old same old about St. Croix (and the islands in general) - questions about crime, complaints about rain, hurricanes, etc., etc., mostly from posters who have not done their research on the Caribbean and don't recognize that there is a definite difference between the Caribbean in general and the Upper 48 and there are differences from island to island. and from season to season.

I've posted it before but based on a few recent posts here on the ST. Croix forums I think it may be time to bring it out again...

“I stopped at one of the beach places for a coke yesterday and had the good fortune to sit next to a couple of visitors who proceeded to tell me how ugly the architecture of the island is and how run down everything looked and how the outside of some of the buildings just looked horrible even though they never set foot inside to see how nice the insides are. I asked them if they had been to Caribbean before and they told me no they hadn’t so I told them about our wonderful island off the coast of St. Martin called the island of Sint Somme Whar Ehlse and how beautiful it is and that the architecture is so delicate because it's one of the few islands in the Caribbean that has never had a hurricane or had to worry about another country in Europe trying to invade them and take over. Oh they oohed and ahhed. I also told them the place is crime free and the "natives" wear beautiful white outfits and sing for the tourists all the time and that the government mandates that everything there be clean and new. This couple wanted to know how to get there so I told them to fly over to St. Martin and then tell a cab driver that they needed to be on the "Eye-di-ot" ferry at the "Ideal" dock over in "Perfection Bay” and they thanked me for the wonderful advice while they were writing this all down and then I left for work”…

St. Croix is definitely for ME and I won't be looking for that ferry! Anyone else??

- Margy

Boston
Level Contributor
5,973 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

I am with you as well. Many of the things I love about St Croix are the very things people complain about....

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

This is hilarious!! But so true. I'm with you. If you're looking for a Sandals type experience, this is not the place for you to vacation. I love all the real life things about St Croix. And I agree, Saffie, many of the things I love about St Croix are the very things people complain about as well. I go there for the TROPICS and everything that goes with it. Sure, there can be mosquitos at times, rainy days, etc-- but my experiences have always been such good ones that I can see past that to all the glorious sunny days, blue/green water, tropical plants and flowers, breezes or not, sand and surf--- wonderful tropical vacation days. I'm happy with St Croix-- but if you found that you weren't, then there's always Sint Somme Whar Ehlse! ;)

Great post, Margy!

Paula

St. Croix
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

I'm with you too Margy! Many people, who have not traveled very much, seem to think that everywhere they go will be like Disney World! The whole point is to get away from the "everything has to be perfect or it sucks" U.S. mainland and experience a real place. St. Croix is a beautiful place, with beautiful people!

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

I am with you MargyZ and I agree with all of the above. If I wanted to shop at my local grocery, drink wine from a box, and eat at Texas Roadhouse I would stay home. I don't have any plans to visit Sandals, Beaches, Hawaii, or any of the All Inclusives ... not my style, nor my husbands either. We did cruiseships for 10 years and I put on the required Spanx, the nylongs and strapless bra just to eat steak and cold soup and get my picture taken in front of fake scenes .. I showered in showers the size of toilet stall .. I enjoyed every minute of this luxury but last year we went to St. Croix just to see if we liked the ship or the islands. NO BRAINER .. we are going to St Croix again this year for 2 weeks where we can go to the beach to drink our coffee (instead of standing on our balcony watching us dock in the freighter district) ... we can sit at the pool, then stroll down the beach and then stop at a bar that is on the beach ... we can eat burgers and watch the sunset (never got to see a sunset on a cruise because we dined early on the wrong side of ship)....

Give us the locals and mosquitoes any day. We have a friend whose husband said he would never go to an island again because of the proverty ... funniest thing ... I doubt that the islanders really think of themselves as proverty stricken ... wake up in a low income housing complex here and see trash .. wake up in a low income housing complex in St. Croix and see the Caribbean!!! Gosh how terrible!

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

Thanks, MargyZ, for the great 'dope slap'.

As many know, we are STX regulars and our kids have been going with us since the ages of 1 1/2 and 4. A couple of years ago, they started saying that they really wanted to go on a cruise. my hubby and I think that idea is awful but offered to take the kids on a 5 day cruise this past Christmas. Our 14 year old daughter promptly replied, "Why would I want to share my vacation with thousands of people?!?" Loved it. Guess the sight of the ships at the F'sted pier and the people who came off of them was enough to remind her that she likes her island life more natural and friendly!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

Love it

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

Love it

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

Count me in as well. I do love visiting other islands but I always come back to St Croix

As far as I am concerned I hope those people catch that ferry and stay far away. There are plenty of others who love this island "as is"!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

I'm in :)

Christiansted, St...
Level Contributor
130 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else with me on this?

Don Street, who has written the definitive sailing guides to the entire Caribbean has called Christiansted the most picturesque town in the Caribbean. Who would know better than the guy who's been everywhere and written about it? So what's not to like?