We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annaly Bay Tidepools

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Annaly Bay Tidepools

Has anyone driven a jeep to the tidepools. I saw a video posted on youtube of some young guys doing their own tantan type of tour. It looked fun.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

We drove our rental and parked at Carambola, then hiked from there. The last 50 yards of the hike was on what looked like a jeep track, so I would say that there is a road to get there....however I'm not sure if it is opened to the public or if Tan Tan has some type of exclusive agreement for it...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

If you search youtube under "St.Croix 2008 tidal pool trip part 1" and part 2, ChrisEllis79 posted a video of 3 people taking the jeep path and when they got to the pool the tan tan tour was there. It looks like they had a blast. I was wondering if anyone else had taken the tour upon themselves also. We are renting a jeep in Dec. so I was thinking of trying with our gps to guide us? I don't know, We are in our 50's so we may not be as brave as the young guys on the video.?

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

I say go for it Smile! There is no age limit on having fun in the islands!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

I have been on the Tan Tan tours to the tide pool and there is no way I would do that trip myself because the road - if you could call it that - has really big deep ruts. But, you may be braver than I am!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

Better have good insurance on the Jeep. Find out from the rental company if you can take it there and be covered. Of course, you could just roll the dice and take the chance!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

You do not want to take a rental jeep down there. It doesn't have sufficient ground clearance. Getting towed out would not be cheap and if it rains while there, the hill coming out gets slick as glass. I have been there many times and you never know what the condition of the road will be. Drive Scenic Road along the ridge line and take in the views but hike into the pools from Carambola if not TanTan

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

Absolutely NO. I was there recently and someone had tried it and totalled the car. Go on an all day tour with Tan Tan; you will love it. It's worth every penny.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

I have to agree with crabgroupie, besides knowing the roads the guides from the Tan Tan tour also assist you climbing into and out of the tidal pools. I don't know if the climb would have been the same if we had taken the route I would have chosen.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

If you try to take a regular car or jeep to the tide pools, you will regret it and it will probably be a very expensive lesson. You need an off road vehicle.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annaly Bay Tidepools

I made a Tan Tan reservation. I don't want to die trying to have fun!!! Thanks everyone. You probably saved two people's lives!!!

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix