We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets from Paradise

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
Pets from Paradise

Something that is near and dear to my heart is shelter dogs. I, thankfully did not notice stray, suffering dogs while visiting and most dogs I saw were obviously cared for and loved by their owners. However, there are not enough full-time residents of St. Croix to house all of the shelter aniimals. There is a Pets from Paradise program where visitors can accompany dogs to participating mainland shelters:

stcroixawc.org/programs/pets-from-paradise/

pa
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pets from Paradise

a shelter in pittsburgh, pa is a partner in this, and a friend of mine did a transport a few years ago. i might be doing one in november if the airline will permit dogs to fly at that time of year.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pets from Paradise

Hello kathy01Pa: That's so cool! I didn't know about it (and they don't partner with any California shelters - we have far too many of our own shelter animals), so I sent them a donation instead.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,457 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pets from Paradise

It is a great program, but what they really need in the islands is a good inexpensive spay/neuter program and more importantly, education about it. There is an organization there that does this, but I forget their name..... I have a cat I got from PR back in the day when they could fly unaccompanied as they have a really big problem in PR as well. In the northeast and we do not have as many unwanted puppies because of successful spay/neuter programs, although we still have way too many kittens. I volunteer at an animal shelter and education and availability of spay/neuter programs is the key to reducing the number of animals being put down for no reason. Sorry for the rant....

Edited: 26 July 2011, 18:12
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pets from Paradise

Not a rant at all, saffie11. Spay/neuter programs are key to ensuring that all pets have a loving home. I hope my small donation to the STX shelter plays a part in aiding that. All the best.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pets from Paradise

Agree, saffie, and let's have an END to the puppy mills. We have a rescue that started life as a mill dog, the poor thing, was sold in a pet store to a family that could afford his inflated "pure bred" price but could not afford time, patience or or attention and abused him for 5 years before they finally did the right thing and got him to breed rescue. They never neutered him, either, so he was a late neuter and that has its own set of problems.

A bit off-topic here, sorry, but I feel strongly about this subject, too. I have seen notices of low or no cost spay neuter programs on the islands and hope they will continue to do more of that. Donations and support are key.

pa
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pets from Paradise

i agree with you 100%, as a long-time volunteer at a local animal shelter and supporter of many others, spaying and neutering are the keys to pet overpopulation. irresponsible people are to blame for all of the homeless dogs and cats in the united states. thankfully, some of the islands are jumping on the bandwagon to reduce the numbers. my dream's to move to one of the islands and start up, or volunteer at, an animal shelter.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pets from Paradise

The Humane Society shelters on both STT and STX offer low-cost spay/neuter programs and at certain times during the year no-cost is offered too. Obviously funding is key to both spay/neuter programs and educational outreaches. Both shelters gladly accept donations, as does the St John shelter!

pa
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pets from Paradise

i've donated to the st. john shelter via mail and their donation canisters when on island. the st. croix shelter has an annual "fur ball" fundraiser. if anyone in the pittsburgh, pa area would like to do a transport, let me know, and i'll be happy to put you in touch with the contact person. :)

pa
Level Contributor
612 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pets from Paradise

with all due respect, every state - not just california - has a huge pet overpopulation problem.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
951 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pets from Paradise

We give to the Sunshine Foundation on St Croix. Last year they celebrated their 1000th pet neutering. http://sunshinefoundationstx.org I'm a firm believer in adopting an abandoned pet-- they make the best ones! We took in a tiny kitten when I was a kid on St Croix back in 1973, my parents brought it home to Texas with them in 75 and gave her back to me where she lived at my home for several years, confused I'm sure where her sunny island was! I totally sympathized. ;)

Paula

Edited: 26 July 2011, 20:50
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix