We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

My husband & I will be stopping in St. Croix during a cruise in November. We would like to check out the fort in the morning & then spend the rest of the day at Cane Beach. Is the Fort within walking distance of the cruise port?

About how far is Cane beach from the fort? How much is a taxi to Cane beach or is their a bus?

TIA for any help!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
297 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

The fort is walking distance from the dock. In fact it is right next to it!

Cane Bay will be a great place to spend the day. There is no bus, but there will be taxis available at the dock to take you there and back. There are three beach bars at Cane Bay Beach, Spratt Net, eat@cane bay and Off the Wall. All three are fun. Off the Wall has my favorite bar right on the water. http://www.stcroixtourism.com/dining.htm

This web page has a link to the taxi association's website, www.stcroixtourism.com/transportation.htm. From there you can email them to get a fare.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Cane Bay beach is not close by. Personally I am not sure it's worth the expense to go there (taxis are expensive). The beach at Marriott Carambola is much nicer. However, all the beach bars at Cane Bay are great, especially Off the Wall. Another alternative is to stay close to the ship. The beaches on the west end are wonderful - my favorite is Rainbow Beach - and some of the west end beaches have music on cruise ship days. They are all within walking distance of the pier.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

I also will be stopping in St. Croix on a November cruise. I was hoping to stay close to the pier - it sounds like Rainbow beach might be the way to go? When you say walking distance, how close?

Thanks in advance.

4. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 16:43
Springfield...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Can you tell me more about Rainbow Beach?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Can we spend the day at the Marriott Carambola? Is their a day pass or anything or can we just go & use the beach?

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Rainbow Beach is a small strand of beach about 2 miles from the cruise ship pier. you can literally walk the whole way along the beach although it does get a little rocky aplng the way...but doable. At Rainbow beach you will find a beach bar and grill, bathrooms (don't remember if there are showers there or not), there is usually a volleyball court set up on the beach too. Water is very calm and extremely clear with good snorkeling. You'll find lots of sandy bottom with some small patche of rock youtcroppings with living coral attached. Rainbow Beach usually has live music on Sundays (bandstand is right on the beach) but will probably have a band anytime a ship is in port. If walking 2 miles is not your style it would be a simple taxi ride. This beach is favored by island residents especially on Sunday so you can expect lots of people to congregate there when a ship is in. It's a fun place. If you rather get away from people take a taxi to Sand Castle On the Beach (about 2-3 miles south of the pier) and merely walk up the beach to find a spot. The west end beaches all have beautiful soft sand and great swimming.

Have a great trip.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Extremely helpful. Thanks for the post.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
93 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

We will be in St Croix May next year and would like to go to a beach that has facilities and a bar. Most important we want a really nice beach. It will be our first time there, what are peoples favorites and why? I do not mind taking a taxi ride to get there. Thanks.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
841 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort near cruise port/Taxi or bus to Cane beach?

Here's a beach guide;

http://www.gotostcroix.com/beaches/index.php

I prefer the west end beaches because of the calm water and mostly sandy bottoms. There are bars north of the pier, Coconuts and Rythms. South of the pier and a little farther is Sandcastles that has a bar.

The north shore has some great bars but the sea is rougher and the bottoms are rocky and have many sea urchins that you have to watch out for.

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
Recent Conversations