We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare from Northeast

CT
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Airfare from Northeast

Hi,

We have booked a condo at pelican Cove for the first 2 weeks in feb 2011. We are starting to look at airfare. I have found an AA flight that would leave out of Bradley/Hartford CT on the first. flying nonstop to San Juan, then 40 minute layover then on to St. Croix. We could be picking up our rental car by 2 , YEA! Total airtime about 4hours 45 minutes. Price roundtrip tax and fees, 527.00.

This is the first time we have flown in St. Croix. Is this a good deal or should I wait/? I love the fact it's only got the one stop in San Juan. Means we won't have to worry to much about hitting bad weather at another airport. Want this to be as stress free as possible. Thanks for any tips. Can't wait to be on St. Croix. It sounds wonderful.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare from Northeast

BUY NOW!!!! That is a good price. Easy flight from San Juan to STX. We have stayed at Pelican Cove and loved it. Have a great trip!!

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare from Northeast

Make sure you take a carry on with one day worth of stuff. With the short layover, it is not uncommon for the luggage not to make it.

Don't worry, it will make it and they will bring it to you but you are better off if you are aware of it and prepared for it.

One other tip, laptops and cameras have been known to disappear from suitcases when going through San Juan so carry those with you.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare from Northeast

We paid $506 in April and it was a good price. Feb is more expensive, so I would probably buy it. Our flight only went down once when AA had a big fare sale but we had already purchased our tickets.

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare from Northeast

Excellent price. Jump on it!

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare from Northeast

I would probably jump on it but in the event you wait......I would check at least DAILY for any price changes.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
462 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airfare from Northeast

That is a great price. We are also leaving from Hartford going through San Juan with a 40 minute layover on AA in early Dec. and paid $715. per ticket! (I booked last March fearing that the fares would do nothing but go up). Fortunately, we had reward points for one ticket.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
462 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airfare from Northeast

That is a great price. We are also leaving from Hartford going through San Juan with a 40 minute layover on AA in early Dec. and paid $715. per ticket! (I booked last March fearing that the fares would do nothing but go up). Fortunately, we had reward points for one ticket.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airfare from Northeast

Buy it. I live in the Boston area and fly to STX out of Logan. Have done it about 8 times in February and 4 times in March or summer. That is cheap for February. It's a very short connection time but you can always grab a later American Eagle flight if things don't go well. DEFINITELY bring bathing suit, change of clothes, valuables in a carryon just in case.

And you are right to connect in SJU. Eliminate as many snow airports as possible when traveling at that time of year!

detroit
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airfare from Northeast

That sounds like a really good price and I would probably go for it. One word of advice though... your flight time or carrier may change.

I booked a flight through AA in May of this year for November of this year.

Our departure when booked in May was 720am. It is now 6am. We now have a longer layover in Miami and our return flight has a longer layover in San Juan with a very short layover in Miami.

The forum on Air Travel has told me that these times can continue to change the closer it gets as they finalize flight plans ect..

So just check often for any changes yourself because I have yet to be notifyed by American Airlines itself of the Itinerary change.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airfare from Northeast

It is true that AA does change flights, but if that happens and it does not work for you they are normally pretty good about changing it to a better time. Sometimes the change even works in your favor. We booked a flight to Tortola for April and the times were not great, but AA redid their schedule and now we have the flights we wanted (which were not even available when we booked).

Also, do take whatever you will need for the day in your carry on plus a change of clothes as sometimes the luggage comes later in the day. I think they are getting better at that because we have not had it happen in a while.