We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food and rum

Which St. Croix hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, VT
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
food and rum

We look forward to our week in St Croix, early May. Plan to bring coffee, granola, maple syrup and buy local fruits, yoghurt for breakfast at our cottage.... then enjoy a nice lunch or fancy dinner out somewhere. There have been such great ideas for eating out. ... but any other ideas for eating in ? and altho tastes are such an individual kind of thing , which local rum did everyone like ? Of course we'll sample while there !!,.... We'd like to bring some back for gifts...buy at the airport at St Croix ? Can u do that ? we haven't been there in 20 years...or wait until one gets to the Puerto Rico airport?

Thanks in advance !

Boston
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food and rum

Cruzan Rum! The airport does not have anything. You can buy it at Kmart and they have boxes to put it in. You can also buy it at the Cruzan Rum factory but I think it costs more. I bring some back as gifts, The last time I was there it was around $6 a bottle, but could be more now. They do not sell cruzan rum at the San Juan airport - they have Bacardi.

There are a lot of local artists/artisans that sell their wares. As far as food, I bring coffee, snacks, food for a couple of lunches and a couple of breakfasts so I don't have to rush to get to the store. For lunch tuna for breakfast I will bring some cheese and a couple of bananas. I bring a very small cooler on the plane and pack my bananas very carefully. Then, we will go to the market and get stuff for the rest of the week along with the coconut rum and pineapple juice - yum!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: food and rum

depending on where you are staying can determine what you could have available for meals in. If there is a grill available, definatly pick up some meats and local fish. breakfast foods are easy....it really depends on what you like. what is great is that mangos are starting to come out now and will be ripe around the time you visit, so there should be plenty to get on roadside stands.

As far as rum, definatly buy in St Croix. As mentioned above, the best, and cheapest place is K-Mart. however, they are not correct on the airport not having anything. there is a small store at the airport. but it will be a bit more expensive.

make sure you get the travel box, it holds six bottles. it is a free checked bag as long as at least one bottle inside is cruzan rum. personally i like the coconut the best....try it with doctor pepper...mmmmm yummy!

Boston
Level Contributor
5,330 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food and rum

Where is the store at the airport? I have only ever seen the kiosk that sells some coffee and food. Is it new?

Coconut rum and dr pepper - now that is a new one. I am trying to imagine how it would taste. I have Vanilla rum. That might be good with Dr. pepper...

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food and rum

We go to Plaza and get coconut Rum,pineapple juice,7up and cherries in a jar and make a concoction we call 'Caribbean Sunset'. It's mainly coconut rum with a splash of pineapple juice and 7up and a dash of cherry juice with one cherry. It's a pretty drink. The cherry juice settles on the bottom with the cherry and looks like a sunset-- or after we've had a couple it does! (we're fairly novice drinkers except when down there, this may already be a drink on the island.) Actually my husband tried the blackberry (I think, some kind of berry) rum with coke and loved it. It reminded me of cough syrup, but he didn't get that from it at all.

I've recently learned that we're probably not going to be able to make our yearly trip down to St Croix this year.... I'm in need of several Caribbean Sunsets right now. :(

Paula

West Chester, PA
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: food and rum

The STX airport has an airport store that many people do not know about since it is away from all the stateside gates and waiting room. If you are standing looking at the American counter, go left (toward the down island gates) and about 50 yards down the walkway you will see an entrance to an airconditioned lobby, in the lobby you will find the airport store.....not sure of the reasoning but everything in the store is marked up at least 50% over local prices. Cruzan flavored rums are 12.99 rather than 6.99 (KMart), tshirts are 22.00, postcards are 1.00......the prices guarantee that very little is purchased there.

Traveling with rum...the Cruzan factory will pack each bottle in bubble wrap for a small fee before boxing it for you. KMart gives you a free box but you'll have to do your own packing....we always use socks and tshirts for padding and have never had a problem. The Duty Free shops in San Juan will have several rums but they never sell Cruzan....my guess is that now that Captain Morgan rum is about to be switch their factory from Puerto Rico to St. Croix you won't see Cap't Morgan products in the San Juan airport anymore. The Capt Morgan factory is half built which is amazibng considering the deal was only made less than a year ago. They hope to be distilling by this fall with the first deliveries next spring. You can see the construction at two sites along the Queen Mary highway.

In case you are new to Cruzan Rum you need to do a factory tour which includes a tasting bar at the end where you can sample as much as you like!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: food and rum

Definitely buy Cruzan Rum in STX. I like Mango and Cruzan Rum Cream the best. Buy it at K-Mart or Cost U Less for best price. Unfortunately our airport does not have a store past security like STT so you have to check your liquor. I wish they would put a store in the waiting room so that we could carry on.

Underhill, VT
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: food and rum

thanks everyone for the suggestions.. I think the breakfast part will unfold, and the fresh mangoes are something to look forward to...[along with the beaches, the sunsets, the snorkling, NOT working, etc] local, fresh food will be an adventure. When we were there 20 years ago, we bought fresh goat, fresh curry spices at a farmer's market , went to the Frederickstead library and found an old St Croix cook book and cooked up a storm! but we couldn't eat it ! it was too hot ! we have a grill available to us again this time.

Now the rum combination ideas are also very interesting... have never gotten beyond pina coladas, or straight... But rum and coke, rum and Dr Pepper ... hmmmm.

We have a neighbor whose brother is a taste designer for a small up and coming distillery in Puerto Rico, and his samples of coconut rum are outstanding...we just drink them on the rocks, or just straight from the little bottles on the chair lift... very smooth. Coconut Bacardi was too harsh after tasting his stuff! The "sunset" drink suggestion is very cool ! OOOhh.

If we buy 6 bottles of rum, will they be able to be carry ons all the way home ? like to PR, then NY, then Vt. ?

Underhill, VT
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: food and rum

paula, sorry u can't go to st Croix this year....next year ??? following forums and trip reports is such fun tho. thanks for your suggestions.

Underhill, VT
Level Contributor
88 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: food and rum

Ok here is the Vermont twist on mojitos : rum, fresh mint [ up in the garden], fresh lime juice and MAPLE SYRUP, 2010. Some friends usually have a sugar on snow party:boiled Maple syrup thrown onto snow,which turns it into a hard candy.... but we had an unusually warm Eater weekend, and it ended the maple sap run : SO, it became a Shorts and Snow party and the above described mojitos were served. Yes, we still have snow.

Groves, Texas
Level Contributor
950 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: food and rum

Thanks Underhill-- my 85 yr old dad has finally become too frail for us to leave him too long alone. I'm an only child, so my husband and I need to stay close. We'll be back, though! Hope your trip is wonderful.

Paula

Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
Recent Conversations