We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are here!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
We are here!

We landed yesterday afternoon after a long day of travel. Paul greeted us like family when we pulled into Cottages. We are still running on the generator and hope to have power restored by the end of the week. Went to Ross's for dinner. She is now serving full meals we both had the curry shrimp. It was very good. If you like hot sauce, Ross's is killer good. I'm definitely bringing some home.

Pastry Hut is closed but Armstrong Ice Cream is open.

Buck Island Reef National Monument
Islands, Monuments & Statues, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Reefs
12 replies to this topic
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We are here!

Hate to show my ignorance but where is Ross’s? Are you talking about Beachside Cafe?

Edited: 05 December 2017, 20:51
Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
578 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We are here!

Maybe you were talking about Roses’s Dream Cuisine?

New Britain...
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We are here!

You are correct. It's Rose's Dream Cuisine. This stupid tablet thinks it's smarter than me and changed my spelling. I need to proof read better.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,852 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We are here!

Lucky you Bassman!! I am sure there are many of us who will be interested in hearing your impressions of the island post-hurricane. Is the damage what you expected? How are the beaches,etc.

Have a wonderful time!!!!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We are here!

Thanks for posting, we were wondering how Rosie fared. Glad to hear she is ok. Her food is awesome and she is such a nice lady. How is the beach doing there. Pastry Hut closed??? Oh no!

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We are here!

We will be there this time next week until the 30th. I'll share my daily impressions of the island with everyone.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We are here!

Welcome back Basserman!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We are here!

For the last two days the sea has been too rough to swim on most of the West end. We tried where the road now ends South of Cottages and at Cottages. We couldn't get in. We did go swimming at Rainbow yesterday. Had a bit of a problem getting out. There's a drop off as you enter the water. The drop off is covered with small stones and small pieces of coral. It really hurt my bare feet. I'll wear my Reef sandals next time.

The vegetation is back. Still some debris along the roads. The old potholes are still here, just deeper. New ones too.

Planning on going to Chistiansted tomorrow.

Georgetown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We are here!

Hi Bassman! So glad you and your wife are there and wish we were there with you. I knew you were arriving sometime in early December and it's great to get your assessment and thoughts of the island.

It's reassuring to know Paul was there to welcome you. How is he doing? He's had a really rough go of it for sure and I look forward to seeing him.

Sorry to hear about the pastry hut. Is it closed permanently? I do know there are some new pastry shops on island.

St. Croix would not be the wonderful St. Croix without a few potholes :-)

Thanks for sharing and have a good time.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We are here!

Paul appears very upbeat. He has a lot of people working on site. They are finishing work on Cocktail and Coconut, the 2 rooms above Cruzan and Chocolate.

Pastry Hut is shuttered. The building looks okay. But they don't have power yet. Line crews were in the parking lot when I drove by. Centerline bakery, which was a back up for me in the past, was a mess.

What surprised me most was how normal the grocery stores are operating. Everything you need or want is on the shelves. They even take CC.

Reply to: We are here!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix
Recent Conversations