We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sending liquor home.

Chester, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
sending liquor home.

Is there a way to send a case or so of assorted bottles of liquor home without having to check it or carry on the plane?

17 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: sending liquor home.

Short answer - no.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
168 reviews
2. Re: sending liquor home.

But if you are trying to send Cruzan rum products home, you can check it on your flight for free.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: sending liquor home.

But you WILL be charged duty if you exceed the duty free allowance. And I think you will find that the free checking isn't dependent on what's in the boxes and is limited to one box per passenger.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: sending liquor home.

Technically I think it's six 750ml bottles one of which must be made in the Caribbean zone but I don't know that they look at it that close. TSA does inspect the boxes to make sure none of the bottles are over the proof limit. Too high proof and it's considered flammable liquid.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: sending liquor home.

Yes, the duty free allowance of six 750ml bottles does mandate that at least one bottle be of USVI origin but the standard liquor boxes (all supermarkets and liquor stores carry them either free or for $1-2) are rarely checked. Also it's not usually checked if they're 750 or 1L bottles! The cost savings are generally nowhere near as good these days as they used to be. There are some great savings but it's wise to know what your liquor prices are back home.

Chester, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: sending liquor home.

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes I was hoping to 'ship' stuff home but that is not an option. I did put stuff in my checked bags last time and one bottle of mammawanna did not survive and was quite a mess when we got home I was hoping to not ever deal with that again. I will look into the boxes from the stores and we may visit the Cruzan distillery.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
134 reviews
7. Re: sending liquor home.

A visit to the Cruzan Distillery is interesting. I don't know that the Rum is any cheaper there though, usually low prices at Pueblo and they have boxes. I hear the Capt Morgan tour is less interesting.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
233 posts
45 reviews
8. Re: sending liquor home.

We end up getting our rum at the distillery. Pricing is pretty much the same as the grocery store. For $3 they box and bubble wrap it for you for the plane. Don't tape it shut until TSA goes through it, they will tape it. We always take 6L home per person and never any issues.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
217 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: sending liquor home.

So are these boxes meant to be checked separately, or would we need to have a suitcase that it could fit in, and check that?

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
937 posts
163 reviews
10. Re: sending liquor home.

Nice to see you back STT .... !!!

Reply to: sending liquor home.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Croix