We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise trip- Beach choices for Excursion...

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise trip- Beach choices for Excursion...

Hi, I've never been to the virgin islands and never been on a cruise (although traveled extensively otherwise) so given the damage after the hurricanes to this area and that the cruise is still on to stop here, I'm wondering if anyone can give their opinion on if we should just stay on the boat (if it's that bad although it'd be nice to support the economy too if we can), but we have a 4.5 year old so not a ton we can do excursion wise (minimum age for many of the activities is 5) so thought of selecting a day at the beach to either:

Abi

Magens Bay

or Secret Sands

Anyone know the condition currently at these beaches and surrounding areas? We'll be there early Feb. If it appears they're ok- any opinion on which would be best (least crowded, clearer water, fun for a family)?

thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Magens Bay
Magens Bay
4,832 Reviews
St. Thomas
Magen's Bay Beach Tour
9 Reviews
from US$45.00*
Free Cancellation
St Thomas Shopping, Sightseeing and...
21 Reviews
from US$45.00*
Free Cancellation
St Thomas Island Tour: Mountain Top...
2 Reviews
from US$62.00*
Free Cancellation
2 replies to this topic
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,542 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise trip- Beach choices for Excursion...

Depending on the day Abi can sometimes attract a party crowd. I'm pretty sure their bar is open and the beach is OK.

The others are both good even after the storms, but no food and drink at Secret Sands unless you're on cruise excursion. Sapphire has the ducks and iguanas that kids like to look at.

Mentioned in this post
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
721 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,822 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise trip- Beach choices for Excursion...

Hands down Magens. Lovely calm water for children, full bathroom facilities, non-motorized beach craft, etc. Magens is well on the way to recovery and by February I've no doubt everything that's not in place right now will be. Enjoy your cruise and your day here!

Reply to: Cruise trip- Beach choices for Excursion...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted