We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off to a great start!

Which Providenciales hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
209 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Off to a great start!

You know that scene in The Wizard of Oz when Dorothy wakes up and everything goes fron black and white to color? That is how I felt today. White powder sugar colored sand, deep aqua blue water, fuschia colored tropical flowers and the very best part was the bright yellow sun in the sky! My name is lisagee and I am addicted to this forum. I also have an addiction to Provo. This is our fifth time here. Recently at a family gathering a cousin asked me about my vacation plans. As the mother of two young children she has not been on vacation in years and told me that she realizes now that she took her previous vacations for granted. That really resonated with me. I made a decision not to take this trip for granted and I want to do things on this trip that I have not done in past years. We arrived today and rented a car. We went to Las Brisas for lunch and were seated under the gazebo. I was overjoyed. This was the first time we saw Chalk Sound and it was spectacular. Lunch was good we just ate light chicken fingers and conch fingers. The food was good and the service was better than good. But that view was really what it was all about for me. After lunch we went to Grace Bay Gourmet to get our groceries and then we checked into The Royal West Indies. This is the only hotel we have ever stayed at. I love the simplicity of it. I know there are resorts that are far grander but we have everything we need right here. I toy with trying other places but always end up here-just creatutes of habit! We rented a botanical studio garden view and were pleasantly surprise,d to find a bottle of champagne, turtle swans on our bed and fresh flowers in our room. We headed down to the beach for a bit. I was grateful that it was not raining. We were greeted by our friend Calvin the bartender who remembered us from last year and we reccognized familiar faces of other hotel guests we had scene on past trips. There was a jerk chicken bbq set up on the beach but we just came from lunch. We went for a swim and the water temp was very comfortable. Then I climbed into my lounge chair and prepared to read 50 Shades of Smut. This is the book that every woman that lives within a 50 mile radius of me said I just had to read on my vacation. I was told that I would not be able to put the book down. Well we were out there for a few hours and I only got up to chapter three. I kept putting the book down to gaze at the water. Sorry, Grace Bay wins over smut. After all these trips this place has not lost it's luster on me and I am head over heels in love once again. How can it be that each time I am here I am still in awe?

Had dinner at Hemingways. Sat at a great table, perect for viewing the sunset. I had the pasta primavera and my husband had the mahi mahi. We are not foodies by any means. We just appreciate a decent meal for a fair price and felt that is exactly what we got tonight. For desert we shared the deep fried ice cream - yum! Our waitress was Sandy and she was lovely. During dinner we decided we would try snorkeling tomorrow at Coral Gardens. We have not done that before and I am looking forward to it.

I must say that I have already noticed several improvements. Construction on the exterior of the airport seems to be complete and we parked much closer to the terminal this year, the customs line moved quickly (despite the bozos who were filling out there paper work at the counter while we all had to wait for them to finish. Honestly you have over three hours to do this on the plane. If I were in charge I would have sent them to the very end of the line.) Ok I feel better now having got that off my chest. I feel that the service we received today at all the places we visited was much better then in years past. Our hotel now has wifi in our room, which is why I am able to write this. Please pardon my typing errors, i am still getting acquainted with my new tablet.

Ahhh tropical paradise. Our vacation is definitely off to a great start.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Off to a great start!

Very well said. The weather hasn't been great lately but today was pretty awesome. Hope the rest of your trip is as good as today.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Off to a great start!

"Sorry, Grace Bay wins over smut".....ha! One of the best lines ever! :)))

Enjoy your time there.....keep the updates (and great lines) coming! :)

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off to a great start!

I agree with you that each time we visit, we are still mesmerized by the beauty of Grace Bay.

Las Brisas is a favorite place we go at least once-usually twice each visit. Chalk Sound has to be seen to be appreciated!

We also have a favorite resort where we feel like family and look forward to renewing friendships with the staff. It's what makes TCI so special.

Thank you for such a wonderful post that made me reflect on why TCI is special to me.

Illinois
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Off to a great start!

What a great post! Thanks for the report! Staying in a cottage in Turtle Cove--will be there on Tuesday! Stayed at RWI 6 years ago and loved it. Would definitely recommend it and go back. Looking forward to trying Los Brisas and taking a kayak out on Chalk Sound!

maryland
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off to a great start!

Wonderful post.!!!!!!!

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off to a great start!

Ah... Have a Great Trip, and save some of that Aqualicious drug for the rest of the T&C Addicts. it sounds like it hasn't been around in a while... so it's a precious commodity.

Keep in touch.....PLEASE !!!!

PS... We also love the Pasta Primavera at Hemingways

Edited: 06 May 2012, 04:35
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off to a great start!

Thanks for your days post.

And yes......people should NOT take vacations for granted.....enjoy every glance at the most glorious ocean......you TOTALLY...get it!

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off to a great start!

i love this thread :)

Ronkonkoma, New York
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off to a great start!

Your addicted! I've seen Grace Bay in so many conditions other than calm and bright sunshine, and no matter what, it's still after 16 visits, mesmerising!

Edited: 06 May 2012, 10:53
Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,842 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off to a great start!

We always called that color thing a Technicolor World, but I like camke's Aqualicious Bliss better!

Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales