We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour?

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which tour?

wife and I coming down Sat for a week would like to take a 1/2 day snorkel tour Island Vibes or Caicous Dream tour

thanks, George

Level Contributor
2,040 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tour?

Either one would be equally fun. Shaun of Island Vibes has the coolest boat. It has a diving board guests can dive/jump off from.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tour?

Flip a coin, both are great and will basically go to the same area. Island Vibes is a new tour company, about a year old, run by Capt Shaun, who worked for Caicos Dream Tours. The unique thing about the Island Vibes boat is it has a diving board, if that interests you.

Boston...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tour?

If you want a true 1/2 day snorkeling trip, then go with Island Snorkeling Adventures "Pure Snorkeling" excursion. It's a dedicated snorkeling only trip to the reefs on the south side of Providenciales and they stop at 3 different places each trip.

They (Caicos Adventures) are located in the Regent Village next to FOTTAC.

islandsnorkelingadventures.com/Snorkel-Trips…

Silver Deep also offers similar trips, but I haven't been out with them.

Big Blue offers a 1/2 day snorkeling trips along the reef on the North side of Providenciales.

Austin
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tour?

I've been trying to decide between the 2 companies as well. We did the half day with CDT on our last trip and want to try the whole day trip this year. Marvin with Island Vibes just emailed me and says his boat is "equipped with a comfortable restroom", which may or may not help you make the choice. We are leaning towards IV because my 12 year old loves the idea of the diving board. Both have the same drinks/snacks and go to basically the same places. And as said previously, Shaun used to captain for CDT. Prices aren't on the IV website but Marvin emailed me the rates and they are practically identical.

Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tour?

I would decide which day you want to take the excursion, then find out where each company is going that day, and base your decision on where they go on the day you decided. The only place we wanted to go snorkelling was West Caicos, and Caicos Adventures had a trip there the day we wanted. When we went there was only 4 people on the trip including us, so that was a bonus.. although I think that is rare. West Caicos was the highlight of our trip, if that helps you decide.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tour?

Seashellmom,

Thanks for the info on the "comfortable restroom" for IV, an important factor when you go on a tour with kids, especially.....and one thing our boat with CDT really didn't have. We were planning on trying out IV for our next trip in June too.....although not sure since our 7-year old still asks if we'll see Lickey with CDT next time we visit (that was his "buddy" during the tour :)). But maybe if you decide to go with IV, we can be on the same tour! ;)

Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which tour?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback George

Austin
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tour?

Good point Blanchov,

I just checked with Kim at Caicos Dream Tours. She said their full day excursion goes out on Thursdays, which is not the best day for us at all. So I will be checking with other companies to see what day(s) they offer, as it appears that the half-day trips are much more frequent that the full day excursions.

Had you already snorkeled the reef off Grace Bay/Provo and wanted something different? or had someone given you a tip about West Caicos? since we don't dive, I didn't think the other areas were for us. Can you give some details about your snorkel trip to West Caicos and Caicos Adventures? thanks!

Boston
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which tour?

Bump......

Boston...
Level Contributor
766 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which tour?

Do yourself a favor if you truly like snorkeling and go out on a dedicated 1/2 day snorkeling excursion. (IE: no beach stops, or other types of things - which can be fun and interesting - they just are a different type of excursion).

Caicos Adventures aka Island Snorkeling Adventures does 1/2 day trips on the southside of the island several days a week. They vary either in the morning or the afternoon, so you still have a 1/2 day to do something else. (Like sit on the beach for half of the day).

They keep a chalk board outside their store in the Regent Village that shows their excursion schedule.

They go to 3 different spots, depending on the weather, and other than the ~45 minute trip each direction and short time between reefs, you spend all of the time snorkeling.

Get answers to your questions about Providenciales