We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Traffic

midwest
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
Cruise Ship Traffic

Am contemplating a trip to Grand Turk, but am slightly concerned about the cruise ship crowd since we are looking for a laid-back quiet beach town. Does the cruise ship crowd tend to stay at the southern end of the island? Or will the beaches be crowded when in port (thinking of staying at Osprey)? thanks

Grand Turk
Level Contributor
24 posts
1. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

Cruise ship passengers do tend to stay at the southern end of the island or take a cruise ship "excursion". Sometimes folks go up north to Pillory Beach / Bohio Resort. Osprey's beach is usually very laid back and quiet.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

If you decide on Grand Turk make sure you inquire about a trip over to Gibbs Cay. It will be most memorable. Also, I believe the Osprey is in several scenes in the movie "Long Lost Son".

midwest
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

Thanks for the replies. Have recently been to Grand Cayman, and you can definetely tell when the cruise ships are in at port; Grand Turk doesnt sound like this is the case.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

We stayed at the Osprey Beach Hotel in 2008. You can see the cruise ships at the Southern end but most of the cruise people stay at the cruise ship center or are on one of the excursions. We noticed some of the snorkeling excursions from the ship when we were out diving but never noticed an increase in people in town. It is definitely not like the ones in Grand Cayman!

Toronto
Level Contributor
472 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

Hi Dalasp,

We didn't find the "cruise crowd" to be an issue at all during our week stay at Bohio. We managed to pick a week when there was a ship in port every single day! In fact, having a ship in port increases your options of attractions to see, since many are only open when a ship is in. But you shouldn't feel the crowds too much. We stayed at Bohio. A few cruisers (perhaps following Trip Advisor?) come to Bohio for a few hours for a quieter beach than the cruise centre. It was actually kind of neat to have a few more people around than the usual just me. The days we walked downtown in the afternoon it definitely did not feel not crowded. If you rent a car or take a cab, do check out the cruise centre and Margaritaville. It's only open when a ship is in port. You will feel like you have been teleported off the Grand Turk you just got to know!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

We have been visiting Grand Turk since 1999, and we haven't noticed much change on the island since the ships started coming. (Except for the ruined dive sites where the port now sits) The island is nothing like Cozumel or Grand Cayman when the ships are in. Besides, if you dive a lot, you might not see many cruisers "up close" at all because the ships are not in port very long each day.

midwest
Level Contributor
134 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

Thanks. I was worried about the cruise effect as i was in Grand Cayman this year, and you could defintely tell when the boats were in town as the beaches were more crowded. Doesnt seem like this is case at Bohio.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

A few cruisers will come up to the Bohio and hang at the bar and beach. We haven't stayed at the Bohio for a couple of years, but at the time, it was less than 20 cruise people there on any given day. Could be more now, because the Bohio is getting more known to the cruisers, but I still don't think it will be a problem. I can say the downtown definitely is NOT crowded on cruise days. Just a handful of people milling around, or the occasional tour bus drives by.

9. Re: Cruise Ship Traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:16
Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk