We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Turks feedback requested

Shelby, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
198 reviews
Grand Turks feedback requested

Hi All! I will try to not make this very long but would love some first hand feedback. I am planning a bucket list trip for my 40th birthday next year. The original plan was to visit Tahiti but that isn't going to work for us next year due to other trip and commitments. My main goal was to visit a beautiful laid back island and if we could snorkel and see stings rays that would be a huge plus. As a family we have traveled all over the US and parts of Canada. We like quirky road trips, and places off of the main tourist track. We plan on visiting in either January or April- any feedback on typical weather or best time to visit.

I will be visiting with my husband and two boys 14 and 10. This will be a once in a lifetime trip for us so I want to make sure I am picking the right location.

One reason for picking Grand Turk is the laid back and secluded location however I don't feel like we can visit T&C without also seeing Grace Bay.

My plan is to fly into Provo and stay 2 days in Grace Bay then fly over to Grand Turk for 6 days. After researching all of the options I believe we have it narrowed down to Crabtree apartments, Beachside Bungalow on Pillory or the Osprey Beach hotel- any feedback on which beach would be better?

We would plan to rent a golf cart for the week to get around.

Things that make me nervous- Cruise ships are listed ( sometimes 2 per day) all but one day during the week we would be visiting in April.

Food- My 10 year old has some sensory issues and while I know can pack a loaf of bread/snacks/ perhaps a cooler with a few meats I don't understand the process with customs and declaring it. Do the grocery stores carry basics like turkey deli meat, cheese?

For prices at restaurants would you say the average cost is between 15-20 per person per meal? Is there typically at least one restaurant on the island open for lunch or dinner?

Thank you for any and all feedback you can provide!

Lindsey

13 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
16,282 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

Grace Bay is worlds best for a reason, for a first visit I personally would do backwards, 3 nights GT 5 back on Provo.

Peak season, so yes there’ll be cruise ships at GT, but staying at Osprey (my choice) has you on a private edge

Not a realistic average for dinner, I’d say $35-$50 per person when including tax and service, plus alcoholic drinks

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

Hi.....we stay on Grand Turk all the time now as it's our favorite island in TCI. Beautiful beaches, quiet and relaxed and amazing people!

Last trip ( April) we stayed at The Osprey Hotel for the first time. That would be my choice of the 3 places you mentioned.

I would pick April over Jan to have warmer seas. Also, I would stick to your original plan, a couple of nights on Provo and the rest of your stay on GT, especially since you said you like places off the main tourist track.( so do we!) If you reverse it, Grace Bay/ Provo is going to feel overwhelming after the peacefulness of GT.

You're allowed to bring $400.00 per person for food to TCI. Just declare what you bring and you'll have no issues at all. Plus, if you stay on Provo first, you can pick some items up at the IGA to bring with you to GT.

Groceries can be iffy, as the container ship only goes to GT once a week. You can also ask wherever you're staying to stock the fridge for you.

DO NOT be concerned about the cruise ships. 90-95% of all cruisers stay in the port area. We LOVE peace and quiet and would never stay on GT if it was overwhelmed by cruisers. We'd go elsewhere if that was ever an issue.

Be sure to book an excursion ( non cruise day) to Gibb's Cay to interact with the sting rays in their natural environment.......great experience!

For dining prices, $15.00- $20.00/ entree pricing easy for lunch and dinner if at the casual restaurants. More ( $30.00 - $40.00 ) at say the restaurant at the Bohio.

Be sure to go to The SandBar on Duke St. Our favorite on GT! Casual, open aired and right on the beach!

For a golf cart rental, I highly recommend Omar. Call or text at 649-346-2450.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Enjoy GT!

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

Check your flight options as it might have an impact on your decision of how to split the time. We are going in November for a first visit and, like you, I thought we should at least spend one or two nights on Provo just to see it; however, the way it worked out best with airlines was for us to stay the last night in Provo (booked a room at Sibonne as we like low key) before returning home. On arrival we will fly into Provo then take Caicos Express to Grand Turk where we have a room booked for a week at the Osprey.

547maca81 has been very helpful to me in planning for GT. I too had fears about the cruise ships and she reassured me about that. We are people who do not like crowds or busy places ,don't need fancy accommodations or 5 star restaurants. We prefer off-the-beaten path, laid back, peaceful,safe and friendly places. We are looking forward to GT and plan to check out small local places to eat. I think Bohio is probably one of the most expensive places when you were quoted prices.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

Thanks DnMobile for your kind words! Enjoy your night stay on Provo at Sibonne. There's a great on site restaurant there...Bay Bistro! Order the conch wontons and lobster....delicious!! Ask for Millie...she's awesome!

Edited: 05 August 2018, 00:31
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

thanks- sounds fabulous! Yes, I heard the restaurant was good and thought it would keep our short time there simple- any idea how far ahead I need to book a table? It will be a Tuesday night.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

DnAMobile, I would just make your reservation at BB the day you arrive. Enjoy!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

I notice the reference to being allowed to bring $400 pp for food. Does that mean there are limits on how much cash one can bring? Conversely, are credit cards accepted on GT and / or is there a reliable ATM?

I saw a note somewhere else that one of the restuarants was cash only. Im assuming that the nearest bank is on Provo?

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

baccus, there are ATM's/ bank on Grand Turk.

The Sand Bar on Duke St. is cash only. The hotel restaurants take cc's. Not sure about the other restaurants on island as we always use cash.

There's no limit on the amount of money you can bring. But like wherever you travel, if travelling with over $10,000 cash you have to declare it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

Google is your friend ....

I have found the TCI Customs form and the $400 limit is for 'other goods' to be left in the islands.

Cash over $10,000 has to be declared as is pretty standard.

I have seen a reference somewhere else to there being an ATM on the island - can someone confirm that and any idea which bank and network?

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
3,504 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Grand Turks feedback requested

We use CIBC. Scotia Bank is also on island out near the airport.

Reply to: Grand Turks feedback requested
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Turk
Recent Conversations