We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
302 reviews
JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

I hope this is not true!

https://lovinturksandcaicos.com/news/turks-a…

27 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
933 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

How does everyone recognise a dolphin to be JoJo specifically and not some other dolphin? Is he the only dolphin around Grace Bay? (I have never seen him, or any other dolphin, there myself so have always been curious how people know it's him.)

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

He has specific scars from other boating injuries. I haven't seen him personally either. Our dive captain tried to get him to follow us (he likes the wake from the boats) but he got bored and left.

Lubbock, Texas
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

We were fortunate to enjoy at least 4 dolphin sightings last October; one morning it was a single dolphin - he swam along w us during our morning walk. Have no idea if it was JoJo (never got that close) but it's fun to think it was. One afternoon 2 dolphins swam across the area in front of Sands - the ladies who were out floating were swimming w dolphins and didn't even know it!!! We always count the dolphin sightings as a blessing; hope JoJo or whichever dolphin was injured heals completely and quickly.

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
302 reviews
4. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

We've only seen him twice swimming parallel to the shore at The Palms. He was slowly swimming checking everything out. The last time was last October after Hurricane Irma rolled through TCI. Was really glad he had survived.

Hoping the picture in the article is not JoJo, but from descriptions Rebecca and Dr. Jim have stated here many times before, the dolphin in the picture could be him.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
5. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<This is absolutely Jojo & me off the dock @ Club Med(circa1985). Jojo has been hit by many boats & almost died of sun exposure while caught in a net during his life. He is about 39-40 years old. Dr. Jim

Edited: 15 May 2018, 23:37
Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
302 reviews
6. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

And you don't look a day older Dr. J! :))

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
251 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

I was walking the stretch between Club Med and Leeward where the rocky jutty sticks out in October 2015 when I saw a dolphin jumping in the waves about 500 yards out. I like to think I saw the national treasure saying “hi”.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,748 posts
54 reviews
8. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

Unfortunately, the best way to identify JoJo is by the scars of previous injuries from boat propellers. Most dolphins tend to play in the bow wake of boats, but JoJo seems to like to play in the stern wake, close to the propeller. One slight miscalculation by JoJo or an unexpected movement of the boat, and an injury is the result. I've been close enough to him on several occasions to see the scars. The "prop strikes" make distinctive and unusual (for a dolphin) scars and JoJo is the only dolphin I have ever witnessed playing in the boat wake (and I've seen quite a few dolphins.) I hope he is more careful in the future...

Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

Just talked to Dean as in Dean and Jojo, and he has confirmed that this is in fact Jojo. It is a pretty deep wound, he went into a bunch of stuff i don't understand but he will be ok.

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
302 reviews
10. Re: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat

Great news, thanks Tewks!

Reply to: JoJo reportedly injured by a boat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted