We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
car rental

First visit. We are arriving on a Sunday around 4pm, some of the car rental places seem to be closed at that time (assuming it takes an hour or so to get through customs). I saw Grace Bay rentals recommended a lot but not sure how old the cars are. I've had some issues with cars in Cayman before, not major but still. Would prefer not to take shuttles. In Cayman everything was next to the terminal (of course all franchise, different names but owned by same companies).

Overall, after having been to Cayman couple of times, I'm a bit surprised how expensive everything seems to be at T&C: accomodations especially, car rentals. Restaurants probably a wash, but in Cayman we were also able to do a lot of road shacks with absolutely great local food for not much at all. Hopefully that's available!

9 replies to this topic
Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
1 review
1. Re: car rental

My philosophy is that I want my land exploration vehicle waiting patiently for my airport arrival in their parking lot. Grace Bay Car Rental & SIXT provides this convenient service. No extra charge either. Dr. Jim

Edited: 07 May 2018, 04:43
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
182 posts
2. Re: car rental

Not too many new cars at any of the rental companies, so probably the luck of the draw on that. We are here now and got a toyota from GBCR can't remember the name (not one we have in the states), looks to be a few years old and straight from Japan from the looks of all the writing and safety warnings I can't read. Steering on the right side, takes a day or so to stop turning on the windshield wipers when making a turn. Other than that it's in decent shape, runs well, good A/C.

Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: car rental

There are lesser expensive restaurants in Provo too, but no road shacks (I didn't see any of those in Cayman either but we were only there a week). I ask for a character car at Grace Bay Car Rental 25 steps from the terminal. They are the least expensive and they are older. I have never used another company. The AC works and for the few minutes I am in the car, they do the trick. It is a much smaller island than Grand Cayman and there is hardly any traffic (unlike going anywhere in Cayman) so the car is really not an issue.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
4. Re: car rental

Thanks for the replies. So one hour or so to go through passport/customs, reasonable? July 1st is our arrival.

Yeah, first time it took me 2 days to stop using wipers when making a turn, lol.

Ok, I shouldn't probably use "road shacks", but there were quite a few tiny local places, with great food and no crowds right next to ocean. All times we were in cayman we drove around very extensively, since we stayed in the East End.

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
307 reviews
5. Re: car rental

We're returning for our 8th trip to Provo in October and have always rented from Grace Bay Car Rentals. The cars they have given us have not been new, like you would see in the US, but were clean, A/C worked and have never broken down on us.

We like being able to go out of baggage claim, go up the hill to GBCR and pick up our car. Very quick! Returning the car to the airport is also easy.

If you don't want to rent the car for the entire stay, GBCR will drop off and pick up your car at your resort.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
6. Re: car rental

Thanks. So, looks like GBCR close at 5:30pm on Sundays. We land just before 4pm. I wonder in case of a delay, if there is any issue picking up the car from the lot when the office is closed. I'm always nervous if nobody is there, and something is out of order..

Also, couln't find any info on their cancellation policy.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: car rental

Given a Sunday, 4:00 arrival, I suspect you will be through customs and baggage claim in about 30 - 40 minutes unless, perhaps, you are the last ones off your plane.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
8. Re: car rental

Thanks. Well, we should be able to make it, if the flight is on time, but who knows.

A saw 5:30 pm on Sunday on google, I see now that the GBCR web site actually lists 5pm. I'll need to get in touch with them. Generally speaking I do not like giving credit card info prior to the rental, but if we are late that would be the only way anyway.

Things were simpler were rentals in Cayman - all rental companies were at the terminal, and open at our arrival time!

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
9. Re: car rental

I also read good things about Sixt and they are at the terminal but their hours are to 4pm, and then reopen at 8pm. Crazy!

Reply to: car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted