We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

Raleigh, NC
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales, Grace Bay
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
300 reviews
Save Topic
Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

From Caribbean Journal this morning:

All-inclusive resort brand Club Med is expanding again in the Caribbean, with plans to open a major new resort in the Dominican Republic.

The new Club Med Michès will be the company’s first “5-Trident” resort to open in the Americas, part of Club Med’s “Exclusive Collection,” its highest-level properties.

The Club Med Michès is scheduled to open in December 2019 on the northeast coast of the Dominican Republic.

“Club Med first discovered the unmatched beauty of the Dominican Republic in 1978, when our resort in Punta Cana opened its doors. We pioneered the destination into what it is today,” expressed Xavier Mufraggi, CEO of Club Med, North America. “Fast-forward 40 years, and with the assistance of our partners and the warm, welcoming spirit of the Dominican people, we continue our world-renowned pioneering spirit. In less than two short years, we will open the doors to our Club Med resort in Miches, introducing this tropical destination and its beautiful beaches to the rest of the world.”

The project is Club Med’s first new resort concept in the Caribbean (and its biggest) in 25 years.

“Anywhere Club Med goes, they do well. This is why they have a presence in [nearly] 40 countries,” announced Francisco Javier García Fernández, the Minister of Tourism for the Dominican Republic, during the official groundbreaking event of Club Med Michès in the Dominican Republic. “Something that is above all of Miches’ beautiful sights is the quality of the people that live within the region. They are warm people, caring people, friendly people, hardworking people, and people that – without a doubt – will ensure this [project] will be a new reference for Club Med to exhibit the company globally as the great discoverers of the natural beauty that many people did not know.”

The 93-acre resort will aim for an “eco-chic” aesthetic, along with a boutique resort-in-a-resort concept that mirrors Club Med’s “Zen Oasis” at its Punta Cana property.

It is set in the still-largely-undeveloped area of Miches, a natural haven about an hour from Punta Cana International Airport.

Club Med already operates across the Caribbean in destinations including The Bahamas, Punta Cana, Turks and Caicos, Guadeloupe and Martinique.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
The Oasis at Grace Bay
The Oasis at Grace Bay
134 Reviews
Providenciales
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Guadeloupe
Guadeloupe
Caribbean
Martinique
Martinique
Caribbean
12 replies to this topic
NH
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

Good "ear to the ground" THG! I received a notice and promo video a couple of days ago. The location looks lovely! Pretty much a very deserted area.

...but nothing will tear me away from Turkoise! ~~~allfins

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

I got the email and link to video also. It is interesting to note that Club Med essentially "discovered" many of the resort areas that are popular today. Club Med established the first significant resort on TCI/Provo, Cancun, Punta Cana, and Paradise Island. Now CM will be opening a new village that will be the first resort in that area of DR. I looked at the area via Google Earth, and the beach does look very nice and there are no resorts at all anywhere close by. It will be interesting to see if other resorts follow Club Med to this new area.

I'm not quite as dedicated to Turkoise/TCI as allfins (just got back from Club Med Cancun), but we are also not exactly the "Five Trident" luxury type either..... Now, if they would get some good sailboats, like Hobie 16s, then we might check it out.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Paradise Island
Paradise Island
New Providence Island
NH
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

...Been wondering where you were gallivanting to, Amateur. Nice to hear from you! ~~~allfins ><>

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

Cancun is a 4 trident village, like Turkoise just got elevated to. The food at Cancun is definitely a notch above what Turkoise has been in the last 5 - 10 years, although still not quite as good as Columbus Isle. Will be interesting to see just what the differences are.

Cancun had just opened their ":wine Bar" (La Bodega) and while offering some good possibilities, they still had some rough edges to work off as far as procedures and how service should work.

Don't know if they did this at Turkoise, but another change at Cancun from our last visit is that they had eliminated the room key cards and the "village charge card". .Instead there was a small RFID "chip" on the "bracelet" that opened the door and was sometimes used for charging/identifying. This way, you can never lock yourself out of your room.... not that I would ever do that! :-)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
NH
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

I have it from a reliable source that Turkoise will/does have a wine bar, too. ...Also has the chip bracelets for purchases onsite and serves as a room key replacement. I kindda like that idea. I'd hate to tell you how many times I have headed back to the room to shower for dinner ahead of "Mr." allfins. Upon his arrival, he was left standing like a lurker at our door when he discovered I had returned to the room with both keys.

I don't know Amateur. Turkoise's getting pretty fancy!...We may have to put out the "campfires" and toss the "marshmallows" away. ;) ~~~allfins ><>

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
532 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

The wine bar at Turkoise is open, sadly it opened the day after we left....They also have the chip bracelet for your room key and if you register your credit card info with front desk on the chip, you can use it for any and all purchases on site. Greatest thing since sliced bread! No more room key to worry about or credit card/cash to carry !

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

Ah, interesting to know that Turkoise has implemented the RFID chip "key" also. Certainly makes sense.

Allfins, no matter how "fancy" Turkoise gets, we will never give up our "campfire"! :-)

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

Is it family Club Med ? I’m sure it’s not adult only

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

traceyk, Over 18 years old.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,681 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR

I suspect that 627traceyk may have been asking about the new/planned Club Med village in DR. For that new village, planned to open in Deccember, 2019, I believe it will be a family village. Some of the material mentioned some facilities for children, so it will either be a full-blown family village (like Cancun, Punta Cana, and Ixtapa) or will at least accept children (like Columbus Isle).

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Reply to: Attention Allfins: New Club Med Coming to DR
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted