We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

dallas
Level Contributor
151 posts
122 reviews
Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

I am planning a Nevis trip in June of 2011. I would like take a day trip to St. Kitts, and would like to see the Brimstone Hill Fortress. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to get a family of four from Nevis to the Fortress? And will we have enough time to see other things on the island? We won't have a car. Thanks in advance for your help!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,735 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

If you don't have a car the easiest way would be to take the passenger ferry from Charlestown (go here for schedules - http://boatschedule.leytonms.com/index.php). It's a 45 minute trip across the channel. When you disembark in Basseterre hire a taxi driver/guide for a tour of the island (there will be plenty of driver/guides waiting at the dock). they all drive mini-vans so there will be plenty of room for a group your size.

The island tour generally takes between 3 and 4 hours, you'll see all the major points of interest, including Brimstone Hill and you'll move at your own pace. I'm pretty sure the going rate for the tour is $20US/hour with a 3 hour minimum but the rates may have recently gone up to $25US/hr to compensate for higher fuel costs.

Depending on the time of day when you begin your tour you could stop for lunch at one of the Plantation Inns or spend time having a meal, drinks and/or swim time on one of St. Kitts' many beaches. The drive will then take you back to the ferry dock in plenty of time to get the ferry back to Charlestown. It's a great way for your group to see St. Kitts. Hint: Engage the driver in friendly conversation and you'll find your tour even more enjoyable.

dallas
Level Contributor
151 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

That sounds perfect! Thanks for the information. When I'm finidng a guide at the dock, is there anything in particular I should look for or avoid? And are they ok with US dollars?

st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
3. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

Look for a van with T on it. They all take USD. If you stop at the beach or a plantation the rate will be higher.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 23:42
st. kitts
Level Contributor
288 posts
4. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

Entrance fee to Brimstone Hill is $8.00 USD per person.

Nevis
Level Contributor
259 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

My favourite tour operator is Tangerine Tours. Run by Christian aka Trini you will be entertained from start to finish. Although this is a full size open bus tourer he still charges the same price as a normal taxi. Trini really is knowledgable and eager to help.

If preorganised he will collect you from the passenger terminal in Bassetere but if it's more convenient he could also collect from the Seabridge terminal on the southern peninsular near Nevis.

Trini's number is 869 664 5058 or www.seestkitts.com

6. Re: Getting to Brimstone Hill Fortress from Nevis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations