We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round Hill vs. Conch Shell vs. Yellow Bird vs. Treetops

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
605 posts
72 reviews
Round Hill vs. Conch Shell vs. Yellow Bird vs. Treetops

How bad are no-seeums on Nisbet beach? I also read Nesbit beach is a little rocky and has fallen trees, etc., not exactly an easy stroll on the beach. More waves, not necessarily ideal for snorkeling. ???

We are trying to narrow down our choice in lodging.

Round Hill Cottage - great views, BREEZE???, no air conditioning, screened veranda, 5 min walk to Oualie beach, monkeys pass by in the morning (I love monkeys)... Ok to walk to/from at night from Oualie beach? Rave reviews. Private.

Conch Shell - they provide free transportation from the airport which is nice, nice breeze, quiet, wake up to sounds of ocean, located on the beach --- downside may be noseeums, and distance to Oualie beach - sounds like there are a lot of activities there in terms of socializing. I'm thinking maybe it might be more convenient for us to be within walking distance of local activities (beach bars for socializing, entertainment and local restaurants), so not sure if this is ideal for us. We're in our late 30's, all reviews, which were spectacular, recommended it for ages 55+, probably due to quite and private location. We will be renting a car for our stay. Abutts Nesbit Beach Plantation, easy stop for morning breakfast. Small, but quaint and private. I like to lay out on the beach, so if noseeums are an issue, not sure about this location. We were eaten alive in Roatan. My impression is this place is well managed, which is always a plus in our book. Short walk to nearby beach bar??? (Nesbit plantation maybe, not sure)

Yellow bird cottage - I read the owner is wonderful, but I read other reviews that this property needs maintenance, though neither posts were specific in what the problems were. Location is convenient, close to Oualie beach but con is you can hear cars passing by and beeping during the day, though surrounded by gardens and nice views and quiet at night. The small plunge pool is nice bonus, and some foodstuffs they supply for you included in the rate (tea, eggs, coffee, etc.). Also read a complaint somewhere that the owner isn't exactly forthcoming about pricing. I'm guessing little or no breezes here, which may pose a problem in May weather and no air conditioning. Cute and cozy looking.

Treetops Villa - great proximity to hiking trail and Golden Rock Inn with full use of the Golden Rock spring fed pool, nice breezes. Seems like it has a lot to offer at a decent price, spacious, not sure of the views, a little ways from Oualie but close proximity to the main road. I can't tell whether the windows are screened, nice to keep the bugs out but let a breeze come through at night.

Figtree cottage is another option, though not sure how far off the beaten path this is, and whether there are views. Washer/dryer on premises. Adorable accommodations, romantic. I believe there is full use of the pool at the house, not sure. Has air conditioning if needed.

Should I be asking each of these locations if parking is available?

Can anyone share their honest thoughts / experiences on these accommodations, both pros and cons of anything I haven't noted here?

Thanks

Edited: 01 December 2010, 07:14
Texas
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,737 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Round Hill vs. Conch Shell vs. Yellow Bird vs. Treetops

I can't give you specifics about the villas you are considering since being a Nevis resident I've never stayed at any of those villas but I can give you some general answers.

First, the number of no-see-ums and mosquitoes you might encounter are more a factor of recent weather conditions in the few days prior to your visit rather than any other factor. They become more prevalent after periods of prolonged rains and when there are little or no breezes. They are also more active at dusk and early dawn around salt ponds, standing water and along the beach where the vegetation meets the shore. You can lessen your chances of a "close encounter" with these little pests by avoiding those particular areas at those times and by refraining from the use of perfumes, colognes, after-shaves, scent products such as body splashes, hair sprays, etc. as the sweet aromas act as an attractant. That said, mosquitoes and no-see-ums are not a major issue around Nevis but like anywhere in the tropics they do exist. Nisbet's beach generally get's constant breezes so mosquitoes and no-see-ums are less of an issue at that beach than almost anywhere else on the island.

Nisbet's beach is also on the Atlantic side of the island and while there is a protective reef about 1/3 of a mile off-shore the water can be wavy. To put things in perspective, The stretch of beach from Nisbet past Herbert's Beach and camps Beach is used by a few locals and medical students for board surfing, windsurfing and kite surfing.

Depending on their intensity (impossible to predict when or how much) the waves at Nisbet can cause beach erosion and expose some rocks at the water's edge making swimming/wading less enjoyable for some people.

Regarding snorkeling - quite honestly Nevis is not noted for snorkeling. There are two man-made jetties at Nisbet's Beach where you see a few small fish but it's nothing to write home about. There is a small but interesting natural reef about 150' off of Herbert's Beach but you'll see all there is to see on that reef in less than 20 minutes. The best snorkeling in the area is actually at Shitten Bay off of St. Kitts but that is accessible only by boat - you have to take a 1/2 day sail/tour or private charter to reach it. One thing you'll notice (or perhaps I should actually say "not notice") is very few, if any, people walking on the beaches of Nevis will be carrying snorkeling equipment.

Now, the prevailing breezes on Nevis come from the Northeast so there are fewer breezes on the Caribbean side of the island.

Budget for a rental car (or more if you take taxis) as things on Nevis are pretty spread out. A couple of the villas you are looking at are within walking distance of Oualie Beach and the only things at Oualie Beach are the resort itself, Scuba Safaris Dive Shop and Nevis Watersports. Gallipot Restaurant is 1/3 to 1/2 mile south of Oualie. Everything else is not within walking distance. So too with the villa adjacent to Nisbet - other than the resort you really can walk to anything other than a beach. By the way, I gather from your other posts that you are on a bit of a budget. If that's true you may find Breakfast at Nisbet to be a bit on the pricey side so too, with the prices for lunch and drinks at Nisbet's Beach Bar. Dinner at Nisbet is upscale with prices to match. You'll need a rental car (or taxi) if you stay at any of the other villas on your list - again NOTHING will be within walking distance.

There's room to park a car at each of the villas you are considering.

Good luck making your choice.

2. Re: Round Hill vs. Conch Shell vs. Yellow Bird vs. Treetops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Nevis
Recent Conversations