We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

a; What is the current state of Nisbet Beach? In some web 'photos it looks a bit of a mess. I believe swimming is O.K. because of a reef?

b; No offence to St. Kitts & Nevis establishments but locally are service charges for service? On a certain Dutch island a $10,000 vacation went to $11,000 with a service charge, O.K. But substantial further gratuities were widely expected, and a $12,500 was not O.K.!!

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

Nisbet's beach is quite nice although it is on the Atlantic side of the island so it can be breezy at times. There is a protective reef about 1/3 of a mile off-shore but the water can still be wavy on some occasions. When tis happens the surf can expose some rocks near the shore line. You can usually swim in the water with no difficulty but, here again, you are relying on Mother Nature so there are no guarantees. You can easily walk further north along to beach toward Herbert's Beach and Camp's Beach where the water does get shallower and thus more calm but swimming there is somewhat hampered by the lack of depth and an abundance of "Turtle Grass" especially at Camp's.

Nisbet does add an 11% Service Charge as well as a 10% Government Tax to your bill. The Service Charge is a fairly common practice at resorts throughout the Caribbean (especially at high end resorts) and, of course, they have no control over the Government Tax. I"m pretty sure you'll find most, if not all, resorts on Nevis & St. Kitts add a Service Charge to the bill. FYI - at Nisbet the Service Charge is distributed to the entire staff and they do not expect any further gratuities but you are certainly free to add more if you so desire.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

Thanks for quick reply Caribsurfer, you obviously don’t work on Caribbean time!

Nisbet policies seem good and fair, no arguments there.

I was looking to go “Plantation” on St. Kitts & “Beach” on Nevis, Nisbet was prime option as “Oualie” seems to target younger lively types and” Four Seasons” just isn’t the “real” Nevis.

I think I’ll treat Nisbet as “Plantation” and look for a beach place on St. Kitts. May be at Nisbet April 29th so might get a free drink with dinner! (U.K. royal wedding day).

I recall a passing hurricane damaged some Nevis beaches a while ago, but I’m not sure which were effected or whether they’ve recovered.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Oualie Beach Resort
Oualie Beach Resort
418 Reviews
Nevis
Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

Once in a while Nevis, like all other islands, experiences some beach erosion when there are passing storms and/or ground swells. This can happen even if the "offending" storms are hundreds or even thousands of miles away. The beaches recover fairly quickly - sometimes in a matter of days other times certainly within weeks. Right now you'd be hard pressed to notice any damage from this year's stormy activity.

Not sure if you'll find 'free drinks" at dinner on the Royal Wedding Day at Nisbet or any other resorts on St. Kitt's or Nevis. I don't think Nisbet's owner is British and the both island are independent with no ties to England. but then again one never knows what type of promotion a resort may have going on to attract guests. FYI - You can opt for a Meal Plan package which includes drinks but you'll be paying for that privilege. so the drinks aren't actually free. Perhaps you can celebrate a day early (Thursday) as that's when they have the Manager's Cocktail Party where you can get a free Rum Punch.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Nevis
Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

Thanks for another prompt reply, and I was joking about free drinks!

Must go now - lots of travels arrangement to make!

Oxfordshire, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

We are at the Nisbet right now :)

The beach is mostly good and swimming is ok but very few people out in the water for more than a splash about.

The pool is lovely though :)

For a low cost, well positioned hotel on St Kitts it would be worth checking out the Timothy Beach.

It's not in the same league as the Nisbet but it's clean and the rooms are large (worth specifying the larger suites with a living room and kitchen).

Very good base for exploring the island, good beach, the local 'shacks' are fun - did I mention how cheap it is, lol.

Mentioned in this post
St. Kitts
St. Kitts
St. Kitts and Nevis
Timothy Beach Resort
Timothy Beach Resort
692 Reviews
St. Kitts
6. Re: a; Nisbet Beach & b; service charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Nevis