We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

I keep looking through the hotels to try and find a nice one that has shade on the beach? Does no one but me get burned in the sun? I love those pretty straw palapas on the beach. It looks so bare and awful with just chair after chair out there. I want to go to GC, maybe the Ritz, but geez, how bout some shade on these beaches? Haven't they heard of skin cancer!?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

The RC is one of the few hotels where you see so many rows of chairs and you can rent cabanas for the day. Also I know that the Beachsuites has the covered chairs as well as non-covered ones. I don't know whether these are at the RC and Marriott. Most people including myself (who burns instantly) refrain from spending hours on the beach especially during the middle of the day. I have found the chair/shade/beach situation in Grand Cayman no different from any other Carib island I have been to and much better than the beaches in Spain and other places in Europe. I am sure they have heard of skin cancer and like most places including beaches here in the United States and even the incredible Jones Beach/Fire Island right here NY, leave degrees of sun protection up to the individual.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

Not sure about what others do, but we discovered a great product called sun block. Found it helps us stay out in the blazing sun without getting burned. Sure worked better than the baby oil we used to use.

Might be worthwhile looking into.

:)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

Even thought I burn, I love the beach. I love to hear and see the ocean and relax with a good book and my husband. However, this shouldn't mean I can't spend the day out there! I should be able to be out there all day, but under some protection of an umbrella or palapa if needed. I know you can rent at hotels, but what if they are sold out, I'd be sunk!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

It depends on where you are looking. I guess the hotels might make some money renting shaded cabanas to their guests, don't know, don't stay at the hotels. The condos, for the most part, have palapa huts for their guests or generously make umbrellas available. Even though I sit in the shade, I am off the beach from 1-4PM due to the heat.

Agree with Retrip, it is not an issue unique to Cayman so I would not fault the destination, simply a particular property. Another option might be to look elsewhere if you are not satisfied.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

You're a real jokester Testudo, yes sunblock, I think I've heard of it, but it still doesn't stop the heat from blazing on you, now that's what I call an umbrella! I mind the heat very much and if out in the sun I can actually get sick to my stomach. Still doesn't mean I can't enjoy a beach vacation, I have many times.

6. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 March 2012, 18:35
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

I never thought I was being sarcastic. I looked at about 10 hotels and saw all chairs with no umbrellas. I'm not joking here, I have actually had sunstroke and it's not funny! I'm writing to ask seriously because I see no umbrellas. When someone has certain health issues or disabilities, they know what they can and cannot do and how to protect themselves and still have a good time. I know from experience and traveling to many islands that I can have a great time and feel no effects of the sun if I have an umbrella so, like someone who might require a wheel chair ramp, or someone who might require babysitting servies at a hotel, I require an umbrella at a beach so I can have a great time like everyone else. I don't think I should be made fun of or put down because it's a true concern of mine. Geez

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
50 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

And I wasn't looking for sympathy really, I'm just really shocked at the lack of umbrellas at the hotel properties, truly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

As a brown man I find sun block and beach umbrellas as useful as eskimos find refrigerators, however, I might be inclined to suggest that hotels don't have umbrellas on display in photos as it looks ghastly to have a beach covered in them. Give the hotel you are interested in a call and see what they offer, many options might not be openly displayed or advertised but do exist

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are umbrellas/palapas such an issue in GC

Here's the best sun block I've ever found:

http://ecologicalskin.com/products/

It contains over 20% zinc oxide and is highly recommended by the Environmental Working Group as being both carcinogen-free and highly effective. It's like having a built-in umbrella that also makes your skin feel great!