We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arrangements for day tour

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Arrangements for day tour

Hello. We are arriving on a cruise on the 17th, and we are interested in doing the Sting Ray tour and if possible swimming with the turtles. Along the way, we would like to see some of the island's highlights. Not sure if we are asking for too much. What would you suggest, and how can we go about organizing this? I have contacted a couple of cruise companies that do the sting ray tour and that seems easy enough. HELP!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arrangements for day tour

If you take a boat that leaves from Rum Point you will see part of the island on the drive over. If you takes a boat that leave from the Seven Mile Beach area, they can probably drop you off at a place like Calico Jacks on SMB after the stingrays (some friends went with Moby Dick who did that just a few weeks ago and we were able to meet up with them). Swimming with the turtles is a different issue. You can go to a place to swim with dolphins, you can go to Stingray City (dive site) and swim with stingrays (at the Sandbar you just walk around), but the only way I know of swimming with turtles is if you are lucky enough to have a friendly one on a dive. We see them often, but certainly not regularly. Someone like Testudo can tell you how often he sees them snorkeling . . . I usually see them in deeper water. Hope this helps!

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arrangements for day tour

To the right of this page you can find two Top Questions which address activities for cruise passengers, one for excursions and one for beach activities. You can most likely find additonal information from other cruisers on the TA Cruise Critic forum.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arrangements for day tour

Thank you for your response. I am an avid user (and contributer) to TripAdvisor so yes, I was aware of the questions on the right and did look at them. But they don't address my specific question which is combining both the turtle and sting ray visits.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arrangements for day tour

By Turtle visit, do you mean the Turtle Farm? There is no tour which includes swimming with turtles. Captain Marvin's, for example, might have something that combines a swim with the stingrays and a land based visit to observe turtles at the Turtle Farm.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,304 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arrangements for day tour

As Kiddos mentioned, according to Capt. Marvin's website you should be able to combine an AM snorkel trip to Sting Ray Sand Bar and then an "island tour" that stops at the Turtle Farm in the PM.

captainmarvins.com/stingraycitytours-islandt…

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arrangements for day tour

Thank you all. This is very helpful. I will check it out.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arrangements for day tour

Check out the Trip Advisor's Cayman Recommended tours at tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147366-Activiti…

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arrangements for day tour

Thanks. I recently went on a snorkel trip swimming with turtles in Barbados. My friends who are going with us now have not done that, and I had assumed that the turtle farm included swimming with turtles. I now realize that was a wrong assumption.

Miami Beach
Level Contributor
155 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arrangements for day tour

Hi. Just returned. Unfortunately, due to currents and high swells sting ray city was closed by the "authorities" and no tours were allowed to go that day. We had arranged to go with Soto's Tours and I think they would have done a good job. They actually came out to the port to let us know they would not be able to take us, which I found very reassuring. We instead signed up for a city tour, which was 2 hours long, and then got back to the port area for some shopping before returning to the ship (early). The tour included going to 7 Mile beach which was beautiful but pretty crowded (and for us the water was cold). It is easy to grab a tour, a taxi, etc. And very easy and quick to get around. So prior arrangements here are not as important as elsewhere. Grand Cayman is probably one of the cleanest places I have seen. Beautiful. Hope we can return when the ocean cooperates with us so we can make it to Sting Ray city.

10. Re: Arrangements for day tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about George Town