We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weight belt

Bath, North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Weight belt

Does anyone know if any of the dive shops use integrated weights or does everyone use the weight belts

12 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Weight belt

Not that I know of. Dont know if I have ever seen integrated rental BCDs. People who have their own gear are usually familiar with pockets, zips etc so prepared to dump weights if necessary. Those with rental gear are safer with a simple weight belt. If this is problematic for you, why not get a BCD. The new ones are very streamlined and light.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Weight belt

I have never seen a rental BCD with integrated weights on the island, either. Why do you ask?

Bath, North Carolina
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Weight belt

On previous dive trips my husband would bring his own gear including a BCD with integrated weights and it was a pain to pack because of the extra weight in our luggage. Everywhere we have been recently they had the weights for him to use so last year when we went to Bonaire, we left the weights home and just brought the BCD and they did not have the integrated weights so he ended up having to rent a weight belt (which he hates).

So this year I thought I would check in advance before we lugged all the extra weight.

Thanks

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Weight belt

OK, so unless he has a different set up from mine (I use integrated weights) he has a pouch which contains the weights, one on each side, yes? These can be removed from the BCD (and dumped in case of an emergency). All he has to do is empty out those pouches and pack them. He can then use the weights that are available at every dive location to put in the pouches. I think that should solve the issue.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,610 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Weight belt

Yes, The weights slip right off the belt. I travel with my own gear including a BC with integrated weights I have never, ever had an issue getting the weights on GC or anywhere in the Caribbean for that matter.

B.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,644 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Weight belt

Whether you use a weight belt or integrated weights don't bring the weights with you! When you rent a tank from dive ops they will include the weights at no extra charge. They also have belts available if you need one.

BKK
Level Contributor
616 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Weight belt

Rented BCDs in Cayman do not use integrated weights. The boats always have loose weights to put on a weight belt at no additional cost. No additional cost for the belt either.

If I were you I would leave the weights at home and if you have one bring your own weight belt without the weights.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,897 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Weight belt

Same for me. The weights have to be easily removable because they have to be dumped iin certain situations arise. I too have a integrated a BCD and use weights available on the boat. You can probably google the bcd yourself or let him take care of it as he should be familiar with his gear.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,158 posts
100 reviews
9. Re: Weight belt

Actually, quite a few of the shore dive ops now charge extra for weight rentals, in addition to a tank. It's not much, but it is a trend I have seen more recently, unfortunately.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
10. Re: Weight belt

"Everywhere we have been recently they had the weights for him to use so last year when we went to Bonaire, ... they did not have the integrated weights"

I'm a bit confused, but I don't think I'm alone. I can't imagine that multiple dive ops provided the various pouches that fit the various weight integrated BCs. I also hope that your husband knows that the pouches are part of the BC (assuming his BC requires pouches), and that it's possible to bring the (empty) pouches along with his other gear.

Does your husband use soft weights in his BC and found those in many places? Does he know that regular weights also work? I'm pretty sure that every dive op in the world has those.

Reply to: Weight belt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about George Town