We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

I was researching this and that (on TA,of course) for my upcoming trip in November when I came across a mention of black scorpions.

If this is true my 9 year old son will be ecstatic. As well, it gives us a land based activity should the weather not cooperate during our planned visit.

So,if there are scorpions on Cayman, where have they been spotted?

If this is a fabrication, where can I buy a rubber scorpion?

10 replies to this topic
Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
11,028 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

There are scorpions. I have had a place on the SMB corridor for more than a decade and have never seen one. My husband did once. A friend who lives in a more eastern district had them in his house. As a visitor I hope it would be unlikely that you would see one. Lots of great underwater creatures as well as chickens and iguanas to keep your son happy

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,567 posts
197 reviews
2. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

Among the more prevalent “hard biting” insects are centipedes and millipedes. 3-5” long and a bite that will bring tears no matter what age.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
185 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

I never saw one when I lived on SMB. We saw quite a few living on Fairbanks (kind of between the airport and South Sound) and I once memorably got stung when I pulled on my shorts which I'd left on the floor, and discovered too late that a scorpion had taken up residence in them. It was like a bee sting, no worse than that.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

I have never seen them on GC in many trips all over the island so they might be hard to find for a tourist. I have seen plenty in the Virgin Islands but they are pretty small and clear/yellow.

Retrip brings up a good point.. So much to see under the water.... including scorpion fish. :)

B.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
5. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

We're coming to snorkel - as we always do; if, however, rain/wind/Sharknado happens, we need alternative adventures.

Scorpion spotting sounds perfect.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
6. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

We love the chickens too. Can't wait to get to Spotts and Smith's cove to completely surround myself with fowl.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
708 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

Probably the Cayman Islands Department of Environment or the National Trust Cayman Islands could inform you about where you could go hunting for scorpions on Grand Cayman, but it might be hit-or-miss as to whether you actually find any.

But for fun exploration activities for the kids and adults too, check out the "Explorer Passport" published by the National Trust:

https:/…

Here is a short excerpt from the National Trust:

"There is a lot to be discovered on our island, and this fantastic scavenger hunt allows you to connect with nature and get out with your family. The booklet is available for CI$6.00 at the Nature Store located in Dart Family Park, South Church Street. If you are interested in purchasing a copy, come by the store, give us a call at 749-1121 or visit us www.nationaltrust.org.ky for more information."

MD
Level Contributor
822 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

My 3 year old loved the chickens at Smith's Cove. There were also like 3-4 chickens that were at Cemetary Beach that he enjoyed.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
9. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

Thank you CaymanTA, a scavenger hunt could be fun for the little guy. We've been to dart park; the playground is wonderful. I'll definitely investigate further..

M M
United States
Level Contributor
156 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..

This is great. Thanks Cayman TA - that scavenger hunt sounds like a fun way to learn about the island for our first visit. We are just big kids. :) We tend to get beach-bum-itis unless we have a great reason to get out and about.

It would be a shame to go that far and not explore the entire island.

Dean P - happy scorpion hunting! I hope you find one and we don’t. ;)

Reply to: Are there scorpions on Cayman? Awesome..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Cayman