We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sargassum

Level Contributor
41 posts
Sargassum

Hi all! We are trying to decide where to go for our summer vacation with the kids (10 and 14). We went on our honeymoon to GC 15 years ago and have always wanted to go back. I have been reading about the sargassum bloom and I am just wondering how bad it is and if it is a "seasonal" thing. Would it be cleared up by the beginning of August? Is there are part of the island that sees it worse than other parts? We stayed on the east end last time and wouldn't mind heading back there but any part of the island will make us happy. My kids will want to be able to swim and snorkel from the beach so if the beaches are full of sargassum that would kind of ruin the trip for them. Any insight would be great. Thank you so much!

108 replies to this topic
Troy, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Sargassum

There are plenty of other islands that aren't reporting any Sagassum at all. BUT, that could change by the beginning of August. I am not sure anyone could tell you that your beach wherever you pick wouldn't have seaweed. Resorts do a nice job of clearing it up but sometimes it is a never ending job.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Sargassum

Yeah, no way to forecast that far into the future. Much closer-in forecasting is available here: http://seas-forecast.com/#work

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
238 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Sargassum

My experience on 3 other Islands and Riviera Maya has been: If you are facing the sea to watch the sunrise, you will have a lot of seaweed on that beach. Your mileage may vary .I now pick beaches that face the sunset and have not had bad seaweed since!

Level Contributor
41 posts
4. Re: Sargassum

Thank you! I figure that the resorts are pretty good at clean up. And looking at the webcams...the beaches look pretty amazing today!

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
11,143 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Sargassum

The weed moves with wind and current and can happen any time however it is more likely on the windward side of the island.

Level Contributor
41 posts
6. Re: Sargassum

Thank you Retrip! We will just keep our fingers crossed for the best :)

Nashville
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Sargassum

I have had 2 trips to Playa Del Carmen ruined by Sargassum. It seems to be a regular occurance along the Mayan Riviera. I will no longer travel there because the likelihood of a stinky seaweed strewn beach is so common now. I was hoping that given the tides along with the position of 7MB, we would be free and clear of seaweed inundations. Seems I am incorrect in this?

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,393 posts
100 reviews
8. Re: Sargassum

The prevailing wind on the island is from the West and Northwest, So normally SMB should be clear. However, if you get a weather pattern that gives you onshore winds then it could easily be a problem on this, and any other Caribbean island.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
1 review
9. Re: Sargassum

Actually the prevailing wind is out of the east.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Seven Mile Beach
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
1 review
10. Re: Sargassum

Sonya - you are right about Seven Mile. As Sue says, with the prevailing winds coming from the east, the west side of the Island stays clear of sargassum generally. We do get two or three times per year where there is a shift and Seven Mile gets sargassum. The hotels and condo complexes are quick about clearing away for those times.

Reply to: Sargassum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted