We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Topic
a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

I can't think of too many people who LOVE the quiet and the serenity of the Reef Resort on the QUIET East End of the island...and PARTICULARLY those of us who bought timeshares or quarter shares or more in part BECAUSE of that who will be happy with this news. Truly angry is more like it.

The Reef is SERIOUSLY considering having a helicopter LAND and take off from the DOCK!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a test to see if the noise was okay for......hmmm NOT the owners of the timeshare properties because we were not told of it......initially it was to go beyond Castaways Cove but so many owners complained about that possibility that it has been changed to the dock area and the timeshare side. GREAT....good move...anger a whole new set of owners and some who own on both sides!

It SUPPOSEDLY would NOT be run at night and would transport people to the airport and to restaurants, like Pappagallos....um, Pappagallos isn't even open for lunch is it? Where would the helicopter land at Pappagallos and the Lobster Pot....or are people to jump? How big would the darn helicopter have to be to keep down the cost of the trip or is this helicopter not really meant for timeshare or condo owners after all? Is that quaint dock big enough or will there be a new dock made BECAUSE of the helicopter?

Anyone who knows me from this board and the Cayman Activity board, knows I've been singing the praises of the Reef Resort for well over 10 years. It will STOP if this goes through.

How pleasant the snorkeling will be with a helicopter landing and taking off...how pleasant will it be to sit on "all oceanfront balconies or patios" if the helicopter masks the noise of the ocean and the palms singing and dancing to the tradewinds. Radios aren't allowed to be on the beach because of the disturbance to other guests but a HELICOPTER is okay? Seriously?

Celine

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

I think the helicopter idea is a poor one but in case you haven't seen it yet, there is a helicopter landing pad in Georgetown now, near the fish sellers if I recall correctly. It's right next to the water, an interesting location

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Interesting. I can't see how this would be a "winning" proposition for anyone, including the resort. People balk at the $70+ taxi fare one way so why would they pay even more for a helicopter ride? Anyone with that kind of money to burn will likely not be staying at The Reef anyways. They'll be wanting something more upscale like the Ritz or a private home. One can only imagine the sand getting kicked up as the helicopter attempts to land. As for landing on the dock: well, depending on the size of the helicopter, you'd be surprised where these things can set down. We have friends that have owned two (different sizes) and an experienced pilot can maneuver them into some pretty tight spots. That being said, I agree this is not wanted or needed at The Reef. The resort has been trying to cut down on expenses (eliminating the complimentary breakfast and now charging an energy surcharge) so why they would even consider doing a helicopter service in such a tight economy is a complete mystery. This is a venture waiting to fail and hopefully it will not even start. Can't help wondering if this was something proposed by a helicopter service to generate more business. There's got to be a lot of downtime in between those cruise ship passengers who want to take a helicopter ride.

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Wonder if it will be used to transport well to do patients for the new hospital as well -- part of an expansion project in general. I think one on the water front in GT is not operational yet -- some issues may have cropped up!

chicago suburbs
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Celine

that sure would be awful. The noise is so disturbing when you are quietly sitting on the beach viewing the water. I'm with you on this for sure!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
917 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

I think Barb has it pretty much nailed - sounds more like something that would be proposed by a helicopter company, and I too would bet The Reef is putting out little or no money and not sharing any financial risk .

And I also agree it seems a bit silly for The Reef, but I doubt it will get as much use as the Medflight landing pad at our 125-bed local hospital does (maybe 3X per week). As for transporting patients from The Reef to the proposed hospital, I suppose, but why would they be staying at The Reef and not the hospital in the first place? Unless they plan on jointly marketing a "Sand, Sea and Surgery" package...

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Due to the travel time from the East End to the local hospital, you could see this being needed maybe once or twice in emergency situations where every minute counts (like a heart attack), but certainly not on a regular basis just for a shortened travel time from the airport. If guests can't endure the 45 minute travel time via land to The Reef. then they are wound way too tight!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for East End, Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
917 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Or filthy rich - I could see someone like fellow East Ender Mark Cuban opting for a helicopter ride to the airport. But as for me, let's just say I'll have to add some zeros to my net worth before I can think about that, LOL.

Edited: 23 December 2011, 17:33
Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Mark Cuban bought the Smith's property across the road from his place just so he could land a helicopter there.

PA
Level Contributor
571 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

they are suggesting bringing CRUISE SHIP passengers to the Reef...that will be just wonderful.......from the size of the helicopter that I saw a photo of on our dock, we're talking maybe four people at most at a time and REPEATEDLY going back and forth.......not to mention, a lot of people at the resort whom we do not know and we'll not be able to leave our things unattended any longer.

In addition to that....what do you think the value of property is near an airport...or heliport? I'm not in real estate but I'm not dumb as toast either...it decreases the value.

Trophy Club, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a helicopter at the Reef!!!!!!!!!!????????

Don't worry. The first major hurricane that hits when it is tied down on the dock will make it go the way of the Rum Point Ferry, the Kon-Tiki party barge and the Deep Dive Submarine. Only problem is that it will become a snorkel attraction.

Hopefully this becomes a quintessential example of "soon come".