We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Advice?

Grand Cayman
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
10,879 posts
81 reviews
Good Advice?

Had a number of messages recently about everything from snorkeling, weather, dining etc., from first time visitors who were nervous about info on this site. There are so many people I respect and who I get really good info from --- Tom, lovecayman, bozzie, kiddos, lager, princess, etc. They have been going for years and have real insight (or live full or part time in Cayman). For newcomers, I would suggest you look at the profile of the person giving the advice before you take it seriously. There is so much great such to be learned, and everyone's opinion has value, but should be based on their experience, your experience and what you and they like to do. Don't be put off by a negative or one person's experience. Yours may be totally different, as are expectations and their experience may be totally limited. GC is a great place but we all look at great differently. One or two visits doesn't even let you scratch the surface, nor does the opinion of a hard cove devotee (like me). Take everything with a grain of salt, and look at who is giving the info before you get put off! Happy vacationing.

Macomb, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
1 review
1. Re: Good Advice?

I totally agree, Reg. When I read a strange or negative comment, the first thing I do is check the poster's profile. How many posts? Where have they been before? Do they write any positive comments?

I first began posting here at the request of a friend who thought TA needed someone who knew and loved the North Side. And that's why I stay.

Sue

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
320 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Good Advice?

Reg,

Great point. I also like to do searches on here (and other sights). If a restaurant or activity repeatedly has great reviews, that counts for more than just one recent bad experience in my mind.

Of course I also think that you get from your vacation want you put into it. Some people are more negative and will never be completely happy.

Annapolis, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Good Advice?

Yes, and others post comments on matters they have only heard/read about, not having experienced them for themselves.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Good Advice?

right on target! as with anything, one seeking information ought not accept it blindly just because someone "says so." DO ask questions, DO read suggestions and advice based on solid experience, and also DO your own independent research and homework. DO make your choices based on YOUR needs, likes, budget, etc. using the information your gather from ALL sources and DO pay attention to the most current facts available.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Good Advice?

Well said Reg. Couldn't agree with you any more. I think the regulars on the CI forum take pride in giving positive and negative comments without being over the top in either direction. They/we are passionate and care a great deal about the Cayman Islands. I've also had many direct emails with people asking a lot of questions which is great. Sometimes, it's better to contact one of the regulars directly (after doing some preliminary recon) and not clog up the forum with extreme details.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Good Advice?

On the other hand- to any people that haven't been to the Cayman Islands yet and are going for the first or second times, do NOT be afraid to post your opinion upon return. I don't think it's necessary to have been somewhere more than once to have a valid opinion. You are entitled to disagree with someone else's opinion and have it be viewed upon as accurate and not just dismissed as sour grapes. The idea of a vacation isn't to have to go back a second time to see if it's better but to enjoy what's happening in the present :) Sometimes it may be the only vacation one gets to enjoy for a long time.

As said previously, everyone has different taste, wants and needs. Gather as much info from as many sources and then go with what you think is best suited for you.

PA
Level Contributor
2,188 posts
7. Re: Good Advice?

Well said Filter... I like your style.

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Good Advice?

Totally agree with Retrip. I have come to rely on her advice as well as those she mentioned as experienced Cayman travellers! I also hope I will be able to provide some advice as helpful as they have been upon my return. That is why I read these forums!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
6,462 posts
34 reviews
9. Re: Good Advice?

yes, as Retrip clearly states (and so do I) we happen to be mainly central SMB people and that is the area we offer most info about. Of course she is a diver, and I am not, so she also has great advice regarding that activity while mine is via our diving daughter and snorkeling lover son:)

Lager (and Tom Cayman!) knows so much about Reef Resort, Morritt's, Northside Sue an expert in her area as well as Cayman Kai and the East End in general!

We all respect and acknowlege who really has enjoyed excellent experiences in each part of the island and the pluses and minuses...NOT that any location on lovely GC has what could be called a significant minus to any visitor!

Updated guidebooks at your local bookstore or library, venues such as caymanvacations.com, gocayman.com, etc also offer valuable information...use your tools, ALL of them!

10. Re: Good Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 05:23