We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

I was wondering if anyone has any feedback regarding the availability and quality of snorkeling on St. Martin. I have been 2x and driven all over the island, but never had the opportunity to snorkel. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Pat

Michigan
Level Contributor
757 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
1. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

St Martin is not known for their snorkeling. We snorkeled at Creole Rock off of Grand Case one time and weren't that impressed. Creole Rock was described to me as THE place to snorkel on the island. If you are an experienced snorkeler you may be underwhelmed.

Florida
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
8,281 posts
9 reviews
33 helpful votes
2. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

There are not many places to snorkel on St. Martin and what there is is rather poor. A lot of people take the water taxi to Pinel Island to snorkel but it's only average at best. You can take a day sail to Prickley Pear Island (near Anguilla) for some decent snorkeling.

Chicago
Level Contributor
398 posts
89 reviews
91 helpful votes
3. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

I agree with both posters about the snorkeling. When the weather in calm on Dawn Beach it can be interesting but on a windy day you would be better surfing. we have done Pinel and Prickly Pear as well as Creole Rock - but we have also been to Belize and Hawaii so are very spoiled- in much of the Caribbean you will find fish - the hurricanes have pretty much so totaled much of the coral.

4. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the Tripadvisor community and has been removed.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the Tripadvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 15:05
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
15,941 posts
10 reviews
23 helpful votes
5. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

You will find good snorkeling at Dawn Beach, Orient Beach, Mullet Bay, Bay Rouge and around Pinel Island and Green Cay just off Orient and at Little Bay.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

Snorkling is not to bad around the sinpson bay area. Aqua mania books snorklw trips to various places on catamarans. They also book snorkle trips for Dive Adventures from pelican marina. Their snorkle trip is an afternoon trip combined with the afternoon dive in front of the Divi resort. You'll see cannons fron the fort and sunken boats that lots of fish gather around. Very nice place to snorkle and dive. I've been to creol rock and there are much better places to dive and snorkle. Most dive operations go to the same dive and snorkle spots depending on where on the island they are based out of.

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten
Save

I would also reommend Pinel for snorkling. Dawn beach can be good on a calm day. The reef infront of the Pelican and flamingo resort can offer some good reef fish.

8. Re: Snorkeling St. Martin/ Maarten

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Case
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.