We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh lobster

Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
Fresh lobster
Save

Does anyone know where we an buy fresh fish on the island?!

Ty!

Bistrot Caraibes
€€€€, French, Seafood, European
La Villa Restaurant
L'Auberge Gourmande
11 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

To cook yourself or already prepared to eat? Fish, shellfish or seafood? Lobster is not technically a fish. Your title refers to fresh lobster and your question refers to fresh fish.

St. Martin is an island surrounded by water...the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the Caribbean Sea on the other. Fresh fish and seafood (including both North Atlantic and Caribbean Rock lobster) is available throughout the island.

Where are you staying?

Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

I guess let me re-phrase that.... Where can I buy fresh caught fish and shellfish, and or lobster or conch to cook myself? When I was in St Croix last year, they had guys along side the roads with coolers full of the fresh catch of the day for sale. Is there anything like that on St Maarten?

And thanks for the clarification that St Maarten is an island surrounded by water!

Auburn Washington
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

There is fresh fish at the counter at Skipjacks Restaurant for purchase to take home to cook. Also a fish market in Simpson Bay and Maragot.

Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
18 reviews
14 helpful votes
5. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

You're welcome for the clarification. It was intended to be a bit tongue-in-cheek because I thought it very odd that someone was asking if you can get fresh fish or lobster on a Caribbean island! I have yet to visit any Caribbean island where it wasn't available and St. Martin is no exception.

There are lots of places to buy fresh fish, shellfish and lobster on the island. In addition to some roadside vendors, most supermarkets have fresh fish counters. Some restaurants will also offer to sell it to you fresh and uncooked to take home.

You still haven't said where you are staying, but one example of the latter that we have used near us is Skipjack's Restaurant in Simpson Bay. They have a fish counter at the entrance and also tanks with live Atlantic and rock (spiny) lobsters that you can select. SXMScubaman was posting just ahead of me, so that is two recommendations for Skipjack's.

Edited: 1 year ago
Oregon
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

Thank you! I have never been to this island and so not sure what to expect. Other islands I've visited seems to be hit and miss at the grocery stores, but always had great road side stalls. Seems this island might be the most populated with plenty of selection that I will have visited!

Looking forward to it this week! Thanks again!

Gastonia, North...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
7. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

Also thx Scubaman — have yet to go to Skipjacks, and knowing you can buy fresh fish to cook is yet more incentive.

Gastonia, North...
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
9,519 posts
156 reviews
143 helpful votes
8. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

And Canuck. 👍

St Martin / St...
Destination Expert
for St Martin / St Maarten, Philipsburg
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
20 reviews
24 helpful votes
9. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

If you are buying form the local fish markets in Simpson Bay or Marigot be sure to go early in the morning

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
93 reviews
136 helpful votes
10. Re: Fresh lobster
Save

How do the prices at Skipjacks compare to the super market? Say for mahi or salmon?

Reply to: Fresh lobster
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Case
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.