We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to book a vehicle for six nights on the island since that seems to be the best way to get around and see everything. One website is offering off road golf cart rentals that are street legal and can get us to the beaches. Is this legit? I've never been to the island, so I am not sure if this is correct. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

They are legit, gasoline powered ATVs. They basically have scooter motors. And they can get you pretty much everywhere except perhaps the rocky slope of the Pata Prieta parking lot. But with La Chiva and Green Beach still closed, it might be all you need if you don't mind bugs in your face and no music entertainment.

mississippi
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

Thanks! It is definitely something to consider.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

We are here at the island now and we have seen plenty of golf carts on the roads. We opted to rent Jeeps instead. We have criss crossed the island many times, sometimes multiple times per day, so if you want to easily and quickly be able to get from one spot to another, I would recommend Jeeps. We are on island time here, so we're not in a tremendous rush, but you may want to make it to the market or a restaurant before closing time, so I think the Jeeps are a better bet.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

Just remember if you are riding in a golf cart and there's a sudden downpour everyone will get soaking wet.

Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

And now La Chiva beach is open! So a Jeep would be the more capable, comfortable vehicle to go that far (La Chiva parking paces are about 11 kilometers from Esperanza). Still, most of the journey is flat, as you can see here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Z1qW9O0rE I am renting a Jeep Wrangler next week from Vieques Car Rental. $569 total for 6 days.

Edited: 18 June 2018, 18:13
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

comsider space as well. there is not much space for coolers, umbrellas chairs and the like.

driving these at night can be dangerous. theyre slow and people in cars will pass you. not good when you already share the road with horses.

do they have headlights(the golf carts, not the horses)?

theyre slow and inconvenient.

how much difference in price?

an suv is way more convenient, especially at night.

and as mentioned, driving to the beaches requires a drive on a very dusty road. not only your dust but the dust of the vehicle in front of you. and there is no escaping it

St. Louis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?

I was just in Vieques and saw a lot of golf carts compared to previous visits. Many roads are narrow, with people maneuvering around horses, obstacles, etc. In a collision with another vehicle with a car or jeep, I have a high probability of survival, but a vehicle and golf cart collision , and urgent medical care for something serious is not readily available, I think I will stick with a vehicle. I have seen golf carts work well at Culebra,but am not sure of the safety in Vieques.

Reply to: Off road golf cart rentals instead of a jeep?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted