We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

Douglas, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

My husband and I will be headed to the El Yunque Rainforest and are wanting to hike and swim. I've researched it and I'm going to try to avoid the super popular spots like La Coca Falls. Do you think there will be traffic control at that time? What exactly does that mean? Will it help to take Route 66? We're flying down Saturday and returning Tuesday so there isn't another day for us to do this. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

Hello Shea,

I am also traveling to PR during Memorial Day weekend. I am going to El Yunque on Thursday since I am going for 6 days. My suggestion for you is to go early. I am planing to be at El Yunque by 9:00am. I am not sure if you've been there before but if you really want to hike el Yunque is the place to do it. I am doing a 4 hours trail route starting at Bano de Oro and walk all the way to the Yunque Peak. It is a dirt trail that will take you about 2.5 hours to reach the top. Once at the top you can take the road down the mountain until you get to Mt. Britton and then take the hard surface trail all the way down to Bano de Oro again. Bring plenty of water and snaks.

La Coca Falls is not a place you will be able to swim. You will be able to see it from the road and go over the rock and touch it. It is super cool to do. If you want to swim in the river these are my suggestions. There is the main river where you walk for 30 minutes. You take a trail called Big Tree trail and end up at the bottom with a spectacular view of a waterfall called La Mina. It is very easy to reach the river as it is mostly downhill but coming up is a little of a pain as you are coming uphill. The bad about La Mina is that this sport is very touristic and tends to be crowded. My personal favorite where only the locals go and know how to get there is called Vereda Angelito. It is a 10 min walk very easy and it ends in a river pond very safe to swim. It is the true river experience. You can go up river for 5 min and end up in a very nice waterfall, not as big as La Mina but it will be all yours. Again only locals go here and no touristic excursions. No big crowds.

This link will show you a map of El Yunque trails. At the top of the map you will find the Bano de Oro trail and el Yunque peak. At the bottom you will see the Angelito trail. If you decide to go to the Angelito trail take road PR988 and after 5 min you will pass a long bridge. The trail will be 3 min after that bridge to your right.

Have fun!!!

fs.usda.gov/detailfull/elyunque/maps-pubs/…

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

I always try to get there by 8am :o)

Douglas, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

Thanks so much for your advice! I will definitely get there early and take the sugguested route!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

It will be packed that weekend. If you get there by 10 am or 11 am you may not be able to get in. They will block entrance if they are filled t capacity

5. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 15:05
6. Re: Memorial Day Weekend(May 26)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...