We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming holes at El Yunque

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Swimming holes at El Yunque

I am going to take my kids hiking at El Yunque at the end of August. I have once hiked the main path (Big Tree?) to the La Mina waterfalls and loved it, but ..others have mentioned smaller pools in less crowded areas of El Yunque. Where can I find them?

Also, which week day is best to visit?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
1. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Weekends are busiest. School starts here second week of August for most, so a good % of people will not be in the forest mid-week.

La Mina Falls gets crowded later in the day.

Other places to look in El Yunque National Forest include Juan Diego Falls, Angelito Trail, and La Coca Trail (though that's a difficult trail on the way out).

Other places outside of El Yunque include Las Paylas (or sometimes Las Pailas), Rio Espiritu Santo Waterfall, Gozalandia Falls (in San Sebastian) ... and a few others that don't come to mind right away.

As always, be _very careful_ when venturing into waterways (rivers, streams, etc) especially during rainy season (which August is part of) as flash floods can and do occur ... in a flash.

Details on these and other places are in our blog ... www.PuertoRicoDayTrips.com

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Thanks for the info! Do you know where we can go river tubing?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

To add Ray's list, Charco frio, but is best during weekdays, and off course, no life savers.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Are these easy to get to with kids? We'll be traveling with 3 girls, ages 4, 12, 14, and they're not the most adventurous, but want to explore the rain forest.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Ccastle- Junglequi has a lazy river tube float at the base of El Yunque.

Socalgal- I would suggest Angelitos. The walk down is not too hard, takes about 20 mins. The river is easy to get into, has different depths and even a rope swing.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Great, thanks!

Kansas
Level Contributor
313 posts
177 reviews
7. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Angelitos would be perfect. Hardly ever a crowd there.

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

There is also El Verde for swimming in the River. It's before you get to the Rainforest. Make a right turn from rd # 3 at the El Verde Restaurant, then go up hill and trhen I think you turn right again. At end of street is a parking ($ 5.00) I guess it's private Property. We had a cook out and spend all Sunday. It was really refreshing jumping in the River

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

Do these places you've mentioned have waterfalls?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
398 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Swimming holes at El Yunque

We just went to Angelitod and it was great! I would bring water shoes or wear waterproof sandals if you're sensitive to rocks since it's a river bed. Mthe walk was a little steep in places but doable with a 4 year old. A local family who was there said if we walked up the river we would find a waterfall but we decided to head out since our toddler was getting tired. Might try it later though. We also found a great little waterfall in between La Coca and La Mina that we just came across after parking on the side of the road and going exploring. A lot of little gems all along the way!

Get answers to your questions about El Yunque National...