We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biobay Dilemma

3 posts
Biobay Dilemma

We will be staying in Condado for three days and a biobay tour is essential. We understand that there are always things that can unexpectedly change conditions but we are excited by the adventure. Is it really worth the cost and hassle to get to Mosquito Bay over Laguna Grande?

Thank you so much for your input.

9 replies to this topic
boston
Level Contributor
658 posts
1 review
1. Re: Biobay Dilemma

As you probably know, the bio bay in Vieques requires an overnight. So if you only have 3 days in Condado, that means flying out one afternoon, spending time on Vieques, taking the tour, renting a place to stay, and flying back. Vieques, for me, is not a hit and run destination. So weigh your time needed and cost associated and maybe save it for another trip. Check out the moon schedule also.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
10,700 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Biobay Dilemma

What jdgosox said.

If you are commiting to an overnight in Vieques, then you might as well stay there the 3 days.

I know that there is a package advertised where they take you there and return the same night, but not even sure how that works, unless it is a private charter.

D R
Culebra, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
237 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Biobay Dilemma

Reports from recent visitor last month was that Vieques Mosquito bay had returned to health and is a great experience. I do not have current info for Fajardo. 3 months ago i was at the Biobay in La Parguera and it was surprisingly bright and glowey. Usually La Parguera has a poor reputation for it's biobay. It was very good.Great experience without having to do the complicated Vieques travel.

Edited: 27 July 2018, 16:14
Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,840 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Biobay Dilemma

There is a lot of Seaweed in Las Croabas which is the entrance to the channel towards the Bio Bay in Fajardo.The last I heard about a month ago that there was not really a glow due to the Seaweed

3 posts
5. Re: Biobay Dilemma

Thank you all for the great information. I don’t know when I will have the opportunity to be back in PR and I’m hoping for the best possible experience and that’s why I was asking whether it’s enough if a difference to change my plans. I know there will be factors that can’t be anticipated so we are doing what we can. For instance, it’s the new moon that weekend. It sounds like, at this time, Fajardo is not the best option.

North Jersey
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Biobay Dilemma

I was in Fajardo last weekend and the glow was minimal. We caught a couple little twinkles hear and there but that was it.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
28 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Biobay Dilemma

We went on the Mosquito Bay bio-bay tour last week and it was awesome! Timing your visit with the moon's schedule is really important for the best experience. Less moonlight = brighter bio-bay glow! New moon is best time to go!

Las Vegas
10 posts
8. Re: Biobay Dilemma

Tally another vote for La Parguera, if we're keeping track.

3 posts
9. Re: Biobay Dilemma

Our trip was last week and we ended up going to Vieques on this tour: puertoricotourdesk.com/package/… It was a long trip but the guides were amazing and the biobay was magical. It was a new moon and the water was very bright. In addition, the Milky Way was very visible, so there were stars above and below. I recommend it as an option.

Reply to: Biobay Dilemma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted