We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

postal service

Oshkosh, Wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
postal service

Has anyone sent home packages from Jamaica? I want to do some shopping while there and get alittle something for everyone. I am worried that it won't all fit in my suitcase. Any thoughts or ideas. One thing we are going to do is take alot of pictures, and make calenders for everyone when we get back. We are going to Breezes from 12/25-01/02.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: postal service

FEDEX is usually much faster. When family sends us things via the post office from there it usually takes several weeks to arrive.

Oshkosh, Wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: postal service

Is it expensive? Does Fedex have an office or postal site in Runaway Bay? I have never sent anything via Fedex. Thanks for the information.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: postal service

fedex from Jamaican will likely cost an arm and a leg... they don't have a ton of options and a 3 day option would run you at least 50 for an envelople... something so large it won't fit in luggage will likely be more than $100US ...

I'd personally buy an extra bag and pay the luggage overage... i'm sure that it won't be nearly the cost of shipping and you'll have the peace of mind that your items will arrive with you (or at all - something you might not get from the Jamaican postal service)...

Hope that helps

Chelle

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: postal service

Perhaps their rates have gone up but we often have to have documents sent from the US to Jamaica and from Jamaica to the US and it has been under $30 US each time. Sending a large item would likely cost around $100 or more dependant on the weight. I'm not sure if there is a FEDEX office in Runaway Bay but there definitely is one in Montego Bay where you'll be flying in and out of.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
SW VA
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: postal service

FEDEX will work, but according to a local, DHL is the most used carrier. I noticed lots of places with DHL logos and saw several vans running about.

Oshkosh, Wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: postal service

Thanks everyone for your replies. I checked the cost of an extra bag, and it would be $25, so $50 both ways. That would probably be cheaper than sending a package home. So I will fill it up with gifts for the locals, and then fill it up with gifts for my friends and family.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,742 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: postal service

:) wonderful idea, your generosity will be very much appreciated!

Enjoy your stay, look forward to hearing about it on your return!

Chelle

8. Re: postal service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 03:19