We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help choosing a hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
28 reviews
Help choosing a hotel

Hi all. Hoping to be in Negril this January and unfortunately, it looks like Charela is sold out for my dates :( Weird thing is, rooms are still available for rent on TA and other sites, but not when I choose a vacation package... Anyway, I'm considering cocolapalm now and Azul. Both have a lot of great reviews, but a huge red flag for me are the complaints about noise. Both hotels have reviews from people complaining that the walls are paper thin. Can anyone who has stayed at either of these properties shed some light? I know that some people are just never happy, so I'd hate to avoid one of these properties based on inaccurate reviews.

14 replies to this topic
Glen Mills, PA
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
6,433 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Help choosing a hotel

Never had a noise issue at CCLP. People always seemed to never get too loud in their rooms or patios.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,644 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Help choosing a hotel

I stayed at CCLP in May/June of this year. At that time, they were building what I think were destined to be additional rooms up by the reception area. Even with construction happening, we weren't disturbed by any noise EXCEPT for the one night when there was a rowdy (and intoxicated!) group in the hallway right outside our door. The hallways are tiled, so sound does tend to echo a bit.

I would emphasize that it really wasn't a big deal and, quite frankly, regardless of how soundproof a hotel/resort may be, if you get a loud bunch outside you're door, you're gonna hear 'em.

As for Charela, you could maybe try booking through another package seller (just because one has sold out their allocation of rooms, it doesn't mean they all have) or consider booking your flight, hotel (and ground transfers) separately. I know that coming from Canada, package deals often work out significantly cheaper than booking these things separately but it's my understanding that if you're coming from the US, it often doesn't make a much difference.

Edited: 19 September 2018, 16:42
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Help choosing a hotel

Thanks to you both. Gata, thanks for the tip, but I checked all the usual suspects and all say they are sold out when I select the package option for Charela. Total bummer because I loved it when I was there in 2014. Booking flight and hotel separate will end up costing me about 300 more pp than CCLP and that's BEFORE taxes :(

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Help choosing a hotel

It might be the vacation package you are choosing, the air fare codes might not be working and that is why they are saying there is no availability.

Check with your TA, they should be able to book you a package with out any trouble.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Help choosing a hotel

FYI, a TA won't cost you more, sometimes can get you bulk rates and save you money.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Help choosing a hotel

Thanks for the tip, Blondie. I'm not sure if there's even a travel agent near me, but I'll look into that!

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Help choosing a hotel

hehethefoodie…

I absolutely love CoCo…. I always suggest it for a great resort , that has everything you need, on the best location of the beach. If you can't find something there. another place ,right next to CoCo, is Sandy Haven. This resort isn't mentioned a lot, but has great reviews, pics, and I have had drinks and food at their beachfront bar, that is awesome. Good vibe, and friendly folks.

Iowa
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Help choosing a hotel

I've never had a noise issue at cocolapalm. I've been searching for vacation packages for February and the rooms have been sold out on many of the sites I finally found a site called Vacation Express that had rooms available for a package deal. If you're really Set On charella You might want to just keep searching

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Jamaica
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Help choosing a hotel

Hehethefoodie,

To be honest, I have travel clients that I have never met face to face. There are several good ones out on the web, that I used for a long time until I decided to dabble in the business. One of the biggest is Apple Vacations. But all you have to do is a quick Google search, most TA's have their own websites and you can book directly through them. But they also will have or should have a phone number to reach them at.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
207 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Help choosing a hotel

Thanks, Blondie!! I'm going to look into that. Although, I did find that Charela is available again on Expedia, but the price went up by 150pp. Going to wait a day or two and see if that changes.

Reply to: Help choosing a hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted