We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jamaican Preferred Currency

Ottawa
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Jamaican Preferred Currency

My husband and I are leaving Ottawa, Ontario, Canada for the Riu Ocho Rios on Sunday February 4th. WOOHOO!!!!

We are debating what currency to bring. Is Canadian dollars widely used? Should we buy Jamaican dollars here before going? Or should we use American dollars?

Also, can someone confirm that the Riu Ocho Rios does not cash travellers cheques (this must be done at Scotiabank in town?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jamaican Preferred Currency

No Canadian. US or JA dollars are the accepted forms.

$1 US converts to about $60-65 JA.

Can't help with the ROR question.

Fort Wright...
Level Contributor
396 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jamaican Preferred Currency

I would think that any hotel front desk will cash your travellers cheques if a guest there - if not that is pretty sad I think.

In JA they do not want Cdn - and seem to prefer USD over their currency

Enjoy Ocho Rios - climb the Falls it is great fun

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,927 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jamaican Preferred Currency

Convert your $$ to Jamaican, you'll get your best bang for your buck that way in local establishments.

I highly suggest you do not cash travelers checks (CDN to JMD) at the resort. They will not give you a good rate.

When I left the island 1/22 the exchange was 65.8JMD to $1USD

4. Re: Jamaican Preferred Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 16:20