We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction at SGOR?

Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
Construction at SGOR?

hello,

We're planning to be travelling to SGOR Feb. 16. I've heard from a few reviews on this site that there's construction at the Riviera side (which is where we're located). Can anyone confirm? I've asked my travel agent about it and she's looked into it only to be told from the tour operator that there is NO construction.

Many thanks.

Canada
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction at SGOR?

bump? Anyone?

UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction at SGOR?

I am off to SGOR on Feb 7th and was concerned about this too and actually started a similar thread that you may find if you look over the first few pages of the SGOR forums.

I also was told by Sandals call centre (who I booked direct with) that they had no notes of any construction work going on. However, reviews and people who replied in my last thread confirm that there IS work going on, and quite a lot of it from what I hear. It is only on the Riviera side. Some have said the pier was being worked on, others have said it was extremely loud as they were doing up some of the rooms etc. and jackhammers and such could be heard all day.

Although I'm not booked on the Riveria side this concerns me that I quiet drink on the beach or walk on the pier is not going to be quite as nice as it should be!

However, that being said, none of the most recent reviews have mentioned it at all so it may well be a case of very minimal work going on that really annoys some but is pretty much non-existent for most others.

I too would be very interested in any comments on this, especially from anyone that has just been.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction at SGOR?

Hi klp834,

I was there Jan 13th to 20th and there was construction going on. It's the lower level of the Riviera Building (the large building near the beach). So if you're anywhere else on the Riviera side, you probably won't even notice unless when goig TO this building. If you stay IN this building then the noise will be an issue but only during the day.

When on the beach it's not that noisy (plus you get used to it quite fast)

Here's another thread which was talking about this already:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147312-i110-k9660…

Enjoy your trip,

Simon

Westland, MI
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction at SGOR?

Why do they flat out lie to people? Construction was going in November and according to RECENT reviews...it still is. This leave a bad taste for me....just be honest.

MN
Level Contributor
912 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction at SGOR?

My guess is the person you talked with is at Unique vacations in Florida, so they may not be up to date on what is going on at the resort. I would say if you have specific questions, contact the resort directly.

I hope they are done with the construction soon though!! =)

We were there in 2005 when they were building the new pier, and really the noise was not bad at all, it was kind of fun to watch the progress over the 2 weeks we were there..

Have a great trip, and try not to let this get you down!!!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction at SGOR?

I don't know about current construction, BUT.........We were there in 2005 when there was MAJOR construction going on the Riviera side, at the pier. We hadn't known about this until after we booked....Just learned about it on Tripadvisor and were reading nothing but horror stories before we went. We were freaking out! But once we were there, guess what? It was NOT a big deal! Would it have been MORE perfect if there hadn't been construction? Sure! But, overall, the resort was amazing....the pools, the grounds, our accomodations....we loved it. And we're returning in a few weeks and can't wait!

The beach is decent - but not expansive......SDR's beach is better - but it's not huge either. The Manor pool is awesome.......Our experience was great....And I hope yours will be too!

7. Re: Construction at SGOR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:17