We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jamaica / August ??

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
jamaica / August ??

just wanted to see if the resorts and beaches are crowded at this time? looking at staying at Riu Ocho Rios...

any info helpful...thanks!

CAN
Level Contributor
20,770 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jamaica / August ??

I went this year in Aug. The travellers seemed to be expat's coming during summer vaca to see family.

Jackson, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jamaica / August ??

Nah shouldn't be too busy thats off peak.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jamaica / August ??

I was wondering the same thing because back here in the states, the beaches are way overcrowded in summer.

Compared to October (which is the time I went last year), how much more crowded can I expect it to be? It was basically deserted which had its advantages and disadvantages. We could get into any specialty restaurant when we wanted, no problems with running out of towels or chairs, and a very cheap price. On the other hand, there were less people to socialize with and I think less activities because there weren't as many people to join in.

I wouldn't mind going there during summer this year, but I would hate to see it toooo crowded, ya know?

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jamaica / August ??

It all depends upon when you go during August. If you go the first week of August, it could very well be VERY crowded, as it is a national holiday in Jamaica, their Indepence Holiday. ;-)

I thought it made it more fun, except I couldn't get an affordable room on the beach, but I did stay at a nice place on the cliffs.

Nynashamn, Sweden
Level Contributor
190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jamaica / August ??

It is hurricane season, bear that in mind.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jamaica / August ??

I went in October in the middle of hurricane season and we were fine. It only rained 2 days out of 7. I guess we were lucky this year.

7. Re: jamaica / August ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 20:16