We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Ocho

Midwest
1 post
1 review
Downtown Ocho

Never been to Jamaica. Traveled fair amount Carribean, Mexico. We often jump a last minute deal & don't need a butler. We like to check out sites around and soak up sun. Married couple in early 50s. We can tell a shop keeper NO thank you....they are just trying to make a living. And we generally dont complain too easily.

We are not thinking All-Inclusive and wonder 1) Food & water ok in downtown restuarants of Ocho? 2) Safe from crime if we don't wander off too far the beaten path (without a guide/tour) & use common sense?

Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Downtown Ocho

Just back from Ochi about 10daysago,so should able to answer these ok.

Jamaica has no probs with water, as it is one of the rainiest places on the planet, so plenty of good, clean water. Food limited down town as town centre not the biggest, but you will get the usual Jerk chicken/Jamaican fare. Hard rock cafe if you're into Tex/Mex also.

Never once felt threatened there, although you will get the usual locals asking if you want dope and stuff. and you're hair braided if you're female etc. A quiet "no thanks mon" is all that is needed.

Really just a one horse town, rougher at the edges like most towns, but you'll be safe enough.

Any questions, pls feel free to message again.

Toronto
Level Contributor
550 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Downtown Ocho

The water is prefectly fine. It isn't like Mexico or Cuba where you have to be cautious with the water, even to brush your teeth. The water is good enough to drink out of the tap, but I wouldn't advise it though. That's just me!

As long as you stay in the tourist area of Ochi, you will be fine. Just kindly reply "no" if you don't want any of the services that might be offered to you on the street and the locals will move on. I travelled down to Ochi 2x with woman and we always felt safe. I can imagine the two of you will be fine. If you ever feel unsafe, there is usually a taxi within sight. *smile*

The food in Ocho Rios tend to be small diners-ish style of major fast food chain set up. You could try the Hard Rock, but try out the small diners. Their soul food is just awsome and can't compare to jamaican food you probally eat back home. The beef patties at Mothers (by the Big Clock in town) are untouchable. If your risky enough try the lobster or cheese patties. YUMMIE!

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Downtown Ocho

Hi Job-get-away,

Click on the following thread link and you will get lots on information for Ochi.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147312-i110-k8227…

4. Re: Downtown Ocho

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 09:20