We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

Calgary
3 posts
Save Topic
Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

My husband and I are 28 and 31 with no kids. We're contemplating the RIU or Bahia Principe for the last week of March 2007. We've never been to Jamaica (it will be my 28th country if that's where we end up) but have stayed at the RIU Palace in Cabo San Lucas which we loved.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

DO NOT GO TO BAHIA!. Things have not been too good there. It was on the news here in Montreal during the week of January 6-13, 2007. Walls fell on people. Rats. The place is under sooooooo much construction. Beware. They are not even selling it here until further notice. Bahia is not more than 1/3 finished. We saw it on our way to Sandals Dunn's.

Good Luck

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

With everything that has been reported... RIU hands down between the 2. Maybe GBP after a year... if that is the type of resort that you enjoy.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
196 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

RIU...it was awesome!

Birmingham/uk
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

ombrelle,

Can you tell us if your information about walls falling down is in the newspapers over there?

Calgary,AB
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

HI there!

I would completely recommend the Riu Ocho Rios! It ws fully amazing! There are all age groups of people there. The resort is gorgeous...they take excellent care of it.

I have a tonne of photos if you are interested.

tamzac@telus.net

Slanky!

Calgary,AB

Indiana
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

Riu OR. Period.

I would never go to the GBP.

Fort Wright...
Level Contributor
396 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

Just returned from Ocho - Gran Bahia is no where near "done" and in most people's opinion should not have rooms opened. Your holiday will be a construction zone - but the price is cheap

If you want a low cost Jamaican vacation and don't mind construction noise and mess - go to Bahia - personally would go to RIU and not try Gran Bahia for months - maybe next March

Fort Wright...
Level Contributor
396 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

Oh - Ausasian - just noticed your city - am a native Calgarian who somehow ended up living in Kentucky - say an eh to the beautiful rockies for me. Will be in Calgary to catch the February warmth. LOL

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

Hi,

It was on our ''TQS'' network on January 10 and it was about people who travelled around December 15,2006.

http://www.tqs.ca/...-desastreux-5724.php

This is a video in french. You can see some of this guys photos on the construction zone. He says in this report, that there was no water, no rhum , no blankets, beach not done, rooms not ready = no toiletts, no water, family of four sleeping on the couch. Met a guy that his bathroom wall fell on him.

Hope this helps.

10. Re: Ocho Rios: RIU or Bahia Principe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 00:19