We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

I am planning a trip in March. But can not decide to either go to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. ITS MY 5Oth Birthday !!! I really want to have a good time. I am coming with a couple of friends. I was told the location depends on what I am trying to do ...Party or Relax. Looking for all Inclusive resort, nice Beach, Excursions... I also want to be able to mingle with the natives of the Island. And enjoy some good Jamaican music/Cuisine. Which I love! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDED......

Which location would be better ???? MONTEGO OR OCHO RIOS

8 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

What specific excursions do you want to do? For many, Ocho Rios is better located (e.g. Mystic Mountain).

You haven't mentioned Negril but for a nice beach, excursions (Appleton Rum, YS Falls, Black River Safari), and easy access to small beach bars, that might be a better fit for you. If you want all inclusive, then consider Couples Swept Away. If you're going non-AI, then Idle Awhile looks very nice (I haven't stayed there but have walked past it and it gets glowing reviews) or CocoLaPalm if you want something a bit less spendy.

Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Far as excursions are concern..Horseback Riding, Mystic Mountain and zip lining and the Dunns Fall. We all drink. (Wine for me) Ok I will look into it.. Thanks

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

I don't know about horseback riding but everything else you've mentioned is close to Ocho Rios. If you stay in Montego Bay, say at Breathless, you're looking at close to a two hour commute to Dunn's River and Mystic Mountian.

I recently stayed at Jewel Dunn's River in (well, very near) Ocho Rios and enjoyed it. If you want good Jamaican music/cuisine, you'll likely need to go off site at any resort.

suz
Derby, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Everything you mentioned would be easier to do from Ocho Rios - For good reggae, Margaritaville in Ochi LATE at night, Amnesia

Maryland
Level Contributor
22 posts
5. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Thank you Suz!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Ocho Rios for Mystic Mountain . Dunns River. We stayed Riu Ocho Rios . Also did Horse Riding there with Hooves including riding in thr Caribbean Sea, great fun

Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

I agree with Suz! 8Rivaz in Ochi is fun too! I’ve stayed at air bnbs in town and I’ve stayed at Jewel Dunn’s River for all inclusive. It’s nice because it’s adults only if you’re having a girls trip.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
152 reviews
8. Re: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios

Hubby and I also turned 50 this year! We booked in Ocho Rios for a week. First trip to Jamaica, so looking forward to seeing the sights and relaxing.

Reply to: Looking 4 Birthday fun.....Montego Bay or Ocho Rios
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ocho Rios
Recent Conversations