We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

I’m debating between going to Beaches AI in Ochos Rios or booking a condo at Seven Mile beach at Grand Cayman. We are planning to do late April 2019 to celebrate my 40th birthday. My 10 year old daughter will be coming with us.

How are the beaches at Beaches AI? Is the snorkeling and scuba diving good? My husband dives and we all love to snorkel.

6 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

Grand Cayman is a diving/snorkeling destination. Jamaica is no where near on the same level.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
1 review
2. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

Look at Beaches Negril or Idle Awhile villas

PEACE!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

Bushgirl, why would you recommend those after reading what OP is asking?

To OP, from what you are describing (albeit briefly), I think you should stick to GC. Jamaica doesn't have very good snorkeling at all, and the diving is not much better.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,414 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

I enjoy the snorkeling and diving in Jamaica, been doing so for some 30 years and can not wait for my next visit in a few months.

The snorkeling off the Negril beach is not interesting as the bottom is all sand and such an environment is not attractive to most fish (no food and no places to hide). Better snorkeling and diving along the reefs. In Jamaica a 10 minute boat ride on calm water is all that is needed to visit the closest reef.

If you do decide on Negril, ask the boat driver to take you to the reef with the cannon and old anchor.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

I snorkel there too (and free dive), but compared to other Caribbean islands it is a poor choice for snorkeling, and diving. The Grand Cayman, USVI's and BVI's, Roatan, Cozumel, Bonaire, the Costa Maya, and even the DR are far better choices.

roxbury, ma
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
1 review
6. Re: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?

I was responding and giving appropriate recommendations based on a family vacation which includes snorkeling and Diving. May not be top notch diving destination what can be done successfully and enjoyably.

Gem... both beaches Negril and idle awhile Villas would be nice for your family

PEACE!

Reply to: Beaches Resort - how is the beach there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted