We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car or not?

Rent a car or not?

We will be flying into Montego Bay and staying in Ocho. 2 nights at resort and then 3 nights at condo. Will want to do tourist things more when at resort and at condo will have vehicle if needed as we are babysitting. Would we be better off taking taxi from Montego to Ocho or getting rental car for all 5 days.

5 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
13,571 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Rent a car or not?

Renting a car in Jamaica cannot be recommended if this is your first time on the island. There are many issues with driving in Jamaica starting with goats. The road from Negril to Montego Bay and then on to Ocho Rios along the north shore of the island is fine. So is the new road from Ocho Rios on to Kingston. The majority of other roads on the rest of the island are in poor conditions with lots of sharp turns and potholes. Off the main roads donkeys can be an issue. You do not say where you are from but the auto insurance you have in your home country may not be valid in Jamaica (call your insurance company to check). Your credit card may also explicitly exclude coverage in Jamaica (call your credit card company to check) However, insurance is required in Jamaica. You will also find few road signs on the island. You will, however, find a very aggressive style of driving on the island.

"Would we be better off taking taxi from Montego to Ocho "

The 'list' price for a one way fare for a taxi from the airport to Ocho Rios is $us120. There are any number of transfer companies that offer the same service for about half that price. You can arrange a transfer in advance or in the transportation hall at the airport (just as you exit customs). You do not say where you are staying but some hotels in Ocho Rios offer free transfers to/from the airport.

Tor tours and seeing the sights I would take a taxi or hire a Jamaican drover with a car to take you around the island. Sit back and enjoy the beauty of the island while someone else takes care of the driving.

Ocho Rios, Jamaica
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Rent a car or not?

You can get a rental car. That is not a problem. You can call 876-893-9949 for rental cars in the Ocho Rios area.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
20 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Rent a car or not?

Getting a rental car can be done and fairly easier...but I recommend hiring a local driver.....

4 posts
4. Re: Rent a car or not?

If you only stay 5 days, I would neither recommend to go to two places, nor to rent a car . You need time to get used to the road conditions, the left traffic and you will not notice the beauty of the country because you have to concentrate on the traffic. Tourist things from Mobay? Maybe there is a handfull... Ochi is a better starting point for tours. If you like to learn more, visit touchinjamaica.com, use the search-function and the translation function there. Trust me, you only waste time and nerves, if you do it, like you've planned.

4 posts
5. Re: Rent a car or not?

If I may recommend you a nice resort with awesome huts, I would stay at the Royal Decameron Caribbean Club in Salem/ Runaway Bay. It's located between MoBay and Ochi. They provide airport shuttle and if you like to go to places, just ask the drivers in front of the entrance. Or make contact with https://www.rileytours.biz/ or http://daltonstours.com/aboutus/

Have a good time in Jamaica ;)

Reply to: Rent a car or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted